Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT 5.3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to lunch for about an hour. When I went to leave I went to start my truck, I got one click and nothing, no attempt to turn over, just one click. The voltage meter did not seem to be any lower than I've ever seen before. I had a friend give me a jump anyway. After about 5 minutes of letting the voltage build up I tried again, nothing. When I turned the key the voltage stayed over 14V, didn't drop down at all. Finally, after probably 15 attempts it fired up with 0 issue, as if nothing was wrong.

I drove about a mile and a half back to work and figured I should try again while people were still there. Same thing happened, one click, no start. I had somebody again try to jump me, same thing, voltage appeared fine, all of my accessories worked, but no start, just one click with each key turn. Again, probably 15-20 attempts later it fired up as if nothing was wrong.

A friend at work suggested it was a starter. I let it run for about an hour then drove 40 minutes home, got there and attempted to try again. Click, no start.

I looked down and noticed my phone charger was hanging out about halfway. Remembering that this happened about 5 months ago and my phone charger was hanging out that time also. When it happened then I assumed the charger hanging out was just a coincidence. I unplugged the charger then turned the key on, let the truck do its system check, and it fired right up. I must have started it 20 times in a row with no issues. Even today, both remote starts in the cold Michigan morning, my start to come to work and the trip to and form lunch, no issues.

One friend thinks that there may be something that won't let the solenoid engage if there is a short or bad ground somewhere in the system, others think that I'm crazy. I've read/watched multiple videos and posts about these same symptoms, most of the times it is a bad ground and usually never the starter itself.

Could this be? I have multiple people scratching their heads.

2015 Silverado LT 5.3

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
It would take a phone charger a couple of days to pull down your battery, I would think. How old is your battery? Original to the truck?

I would check your battery cables for internal corrosion and corrosion at the starter, check/clean all grounds, and check the starter.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I'm not 100 up to speed on these charging systems and gauges yet - is it the amp meter-type connector around the main ground cable that gives you your dash gauge measurement or is that gauge wired directly in to the battery?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The only connection on the positive post that's wired directly is the starter.

The other goes over to the master fuse on the firewall. After the fuse one goes to the alt, the other into the truck.

A bad starter doesn't start anything. Could be corroded both at the B+ post and/or the starter itself and just driving it around causes it to wiggle enough to get the proper voltage.

You'll need a multimeter to test power on all those points. If there's something wonky with the cable that goes over to the master fuse, you'll have all those issues you just described and more.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
365 Posts
A test we did back in the stone ages was to have the headlights on when turning the key to start it.

If the lights dim a lot and it only clicks that is a bad connection (battery, cables, ground).

If the lights do not dim and it only clicks it is a circuit problem (starter solenoid, starter, etc.)

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT 5.3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turns out that it was just a coincidence. The cable to the starter was bad. Thanks for the opinions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts