Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems I only post when there's issues, but here goes. I had to go out of town a couple weeks ago. Checked my clutch master cylinder and fluid was low so I topped it off and went about my business. Drove over an hour away and didn't have a problem until I hit the parking lot of where I needed to be. Basically, the clutch pedal felt like it had more play than usual, but it's hit and miss. I've had it parked the last week in a half after getting it checked out. I was told it was the slave cylinder leaking and I would have to have a clutch put in. I didn't check the fluid when I got home, but I just checked it after moving it and it's dropped, but I was able to move it and drive with no problem. The fluid's jet black, so I know it needs to be changed, but is it really the slave cylinder? I understand they go bad, but I had the clutch and cylinders done a couple years ago.

This is in a 1990 Chevy Silverado.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I remember it sits under the starter, or at least in that area. I was told they had to split the trans from the back of the engine. But I drove it to work today because I needed to move it. I threw fluid in it this morning and checked it when I got home. there was fluid all over the clutch master cylinder and the driver side wheelwell. I'm taking it in tomorrow morning, but if I've got fluid coming out of the master cylinder, does it make more sense that it's the problem and not the slave cylinder? I don't have a clue about hydraulic systems, but if it's leaking at the lowest point, yet the reservoir hasn't gone dry, it has to be something else, right?

· Registered
559 Posts
Callahan said:
.....threw fluid in it this morning and checked it when I got home. there was fluid all over the clutch master cylinder and the driver side wheelwell......got fluid coming out of the master cylinder,....
What you saw may be the result of over filling the reservoir.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.