Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I wanted to see if anyone had some additional information on the CARB process. I live out in California and I'm looking to install a K&N 77-3082KP Air Intake on my 2015 GMC Sierra. Looking on the K&N site this setup isn't legal out here, however the exact same intake is legal for the 2014 Sierra. I confirmed this with K&N this morning.

Is the exemption sticker different for a 2014 truck opposed to a 2015?

I'm thinking of installing this system (may have to say I drive a 2014 to order it?), the truck won't be due for a smog until 2021 and the CARB exemption should be done by then.

· Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,187 Posts
Had a Volant CAI on my last truck,, didn't have a CARB number. just save your OEM and put it back on every other year to get the smog! Took me ten or fifteen minutes to swap them out!
Plus,, your not gonna need a smog until 2021 or abouts.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen-USMC, SS Guru
10,065 Posts
towdog333 said:
I think my CAI helps , I get a throather sound and better throttle response
Placebo. It's louder under the hood, that's about it.

10,065 Posts
You even said, you "think", it does whatever. You're wrong though. Maybe for a higher performance vehicle, and only at higher RPMs...

But have a good day, sir. I do not argue on the internet, to protect kittens from being killed by a retard.

· Registered
2,187 Posts
Hey if it works for ya!! I am all for that!! I ran a Volant CAI with No Other modifications for over two years on another brand vehicle and I did not see any benefits other than visual under the hood. At first I thought it felt stronger and faster throttle reaction, but the longer I drove with it and after checking fuel mileage, I found nothing to substantiate the cost of the CIA.
Matter of fact I got sick and tired of the loud drone when I was towing. The minute it downshifted while pulling a load the drone got louder and louder even though we weren't going any faster!!

After getting the "Look" from the wife any time we were towing and it dropped down a gear or two and roared on for a while, we both got tired of that quickly!!
Had to sell it on Craigslist!!

Give it a try,, some folks seem to think they do good, But I could not find any HP increase or MPG increase,,the intended mission of installing one!!
Please post your findings!

· Registered
355 Posts
wildchevy said:
save your money for something that helps the truck.
You've stated that before. I don't know about the later trucks, but the attached is a pict of the stock intake tube that I pulled off my 2011 Silverado. Tell me that doesn't impair performance! I replaced it with an AIRAID.

Lou

Attachments

10,065 Posts
lowrider said:
wildchevy said:
save your money for something that helps the truck.
You've stated that before. I don't know about the later trucks, but the attached is a pict of the stock intake tube that I pulled off my 2011 Silverado. Tell me that doesn't impair performance! I replaced it with an AIRAID.

Lou
I agree... that doesn't look stock at all. It would make a loud as hell noise trying to pull through such a small opening...

· Servicemen
2,867 Posts
I just this minute returned from the garage, and that is indeed the view looking from the intake manifold side back into the plastic monstrosity GM uses to quiet down the incoming air noise on my 2013 GMC Sierra. (It's actually the entrance to the last baffle chamber, but that's beside the point!).

Has NO effect on airflow to the engine and only affects the sound.

And that's the truth.

· Registered
2,187 Posts
Ok,, I thought that was a resonator,, I gotta agree that the stock intake tube sure is a monstrosity!! But it seems to work ok, it flows good. At this point in my life I am not showing my truck off to my friends so I don't need to spend money on an intake tube to make my engine compartment look cool!
What's under there was designed to function properly. My 6.0 does get loud when I put the pedal to it and I am good with that!
I have actually thought about sawing off the big square resonator on the top of the intake tube, but it is there for a reason!
Had a CAI and couldn't justify the cost to benefit other than looks!
If you can prove that they actually improve something other than that please do. Even changing just the tube in expensive.

· Registered
161 Posts
I replaced my Monstrosity intake tube with an AIRAID MIT and although it looked better I wasn't impressed with the sound (GROWL)!.I'm currently back to the stock but quiet Monstrosity intake tube. Using the AIRAID intake for Christmas tree ornament.

· Registered
2,187 Posts
I might try to take that ugly box looking thing off of my intake tube, I have some black plastic I could cut into a circle or plug and use some black epoxy to glue it over the hole. If I can make it look clean I would be happy! Its those other long square tubes that run under the Engine cover.. But,, you can't really see 'em.. I just wonder if doing so would cause it to make more noise than normal??

· Registered
688 Posts
CARB is a bit of a joke. The sticker merely states that K&N has paid CA to be allowed to install their systems on cars/trucks. I spent a bit of time on the phone with a couple of companies when I needed to replace the cat in my VW. The dealerships in CA hold a monopoly on my body style's cat and they charge 1200$ for it. I was told by the companies that the cats themselves are the same the CARB compliance is a number (stamped to the steel) from the state. Since the 49 state cats can't be shipped to CA i thought i was more or less stuck. I realized my brother lives out of state and could easily mail me a package. So i bought a 150$ cat from oregon (tectonic tuning i think) shipped it to his place in AZ then had him ship it to me. Car passed smog with like new numbers. Smog tech didn't even look for the CARB number. Point is, don't sweat CARB.

My personal opinion is to run the CAI if you want. There are only two ways you can get in trouble. First, you come across the one dick of a cop that decides he wants to search the engine bay. Frankly it's few and far between and unless you're driving a primer colored Honda Civic with a fart cannon you're probably not going to get searched. Second, at the smog shop. You're truck is a 2015, smog doesn't start until the truck is 6 years old. You don't have to worry about a fail at the smog station until then. My advice is to keep the OEM filter and plumbing, install it for the smog test, return to the CAI afterward. Or find a smog guy that doesn't give a hoot.

Edit: before someone makes a comment about living in Illinois. I just moved here 3 months ago. I spent the last 31 years living in CA. And no, the cold isn't that bad. :D

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took the gamble and ordered the K&N. On the K&N website if you enter the truck as a 2015 the system is not legal in CA, if you enter your truck as a 2014 it is legal. Ended up ordering off of Amazon and have the CARB sticker. I also spoke to someone at K&N and they're in the process of getting the 2015 certified anyways. I imagine by the time this could be an issue in 2021 the system will be fine, or I just put the stock one back on.

Lots of things I love about living out here in California, but these regulations and having to pay 10 cents for grocery bags have me shaking my head.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.