Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 motor. I tow a camper and the gas mileage stinks. Will a cold air intake bump the mpg as well as the throttle response??
and the packages available run from less than 100 to over 400 dollars.
Currently has 69k on the od. No other mods.

·
Administrator
8,147 Posts
Your truck came from the factory with a CAI. Aftermarket will look cool and sound good but will not help with MPG or power unless you drive 95% of your time at redline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 motor. I tow a camper and the gas mileage stinks. Will a cold air intake bump the mpg as well as the throttle response??
and the packages available run from less than 100 to over 400 dollars.
Currently has 69k on the od. No other mods.
Complete waste of money. If you do get one I gaurantee you from experience you will take it right back off. NO NOTICEABLE GAINS. actually made my truck run like crap

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Wow! So, then all of these claims by companies who boast that there will some performance gains is just marketing? Taking the other side of this argument this can't be. Surely by now someone would have brought a claim against them for failing to boost performance as claimed.

·
Registered
2022 GMC 3500 SRW Denali Duramax
10 Posts
Wow! So, then all of these claims by companies who boast that there will some performance gains is just marketing? Taking the other side of this argument this can't be. Surely by now someone would have brought a claim against them for failing to boost performance as claimed.
I love this sue everyone mentalitly.

This would be an extremely hard case to prove, statistics can easily be manipulated to show the result you want. I am sure under very specific circumstances with very specific testing parameters you sure can see the results they say.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,978 Posts
Oh no you do get what they claim gain wise.. you just dont get it unless you are at wide open thottle at 4500 rpms.
Check out this.

·
Administrator
8,147 Posts
In reality, you might gain 5-8 HP at 5,800 rpm's. How much time do you spend at that rpm? On a 350 hp engine, a 5 hp gain is less than 2%. You likely would not even notice it. You gain next to nothing in the 1,200-2,500 rpm range, which is where your engine lives 99% of the time.

·
Registered
2012 gmc sierra 1500 6l80e 6.2
206 Posts
Save your money and buy better tires instead. I have K&N filter and my mpg still sucks and sucks even more while towing.

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,090 Posts
The only way you will know for sure is to buy one and run it for a few years! But dont half azz it. buy the whole set up! Then do your testing and get back to us that have had them and have had No results that made it worth the purchase and are trying to pass that lesson on to you!
Don't forget to take pictures!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Oh no you do get what they claim gain wise.. you just dont get it unless you are at wide open thottle at 4500 rpms.
Check out this.

the graph for the volant is actually not bad, there are gains below 3200 rpm. much better than i expected.

edit: i just noticed this is for the 6.2 running 91 octane. i expect the results to be less gains for the 5.3 and i expect the gains to shift higher in the rpm range.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,233 Posts
Your truck has a modern computer controlled direct injection motor. Regular air filter (OEM) vs. a CAI or performance filter will have no effect on fuel efficiency. The ECM is programmed to adjust Air/Fuel (A/F) ratio to predetermined spec’s., so increasing air will mean the ECM will adjust the fuel to the programmed A/F ratio. Basically cold air intakes and performance air filters make minimal HP increase and give the illusion of more HP simply because they make more noise over factory setups and people tend to justify their purchase by embellishing the performance and fuel economy.

If you read the fine print he makers are careful not to make mileage claims. RE:
- HOW WILL A K&N® FILTER AFFECT MY VEHICLE'S FUEL ECONOMY?
K&N® does not make any claims or advertisements regarding fuel economy.
- CAN COLD AIR INTAKES IMPROVE GAS MILEAGE?
K&N® does not make any claims or guarantees in terms of increased gas mileage with the use of K&N filters or intakes, due to a vast number of variables that can affect a vehicle's gas mileage.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts