Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

Registered
I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 motor. I tow a camper and the gas mileage stinks. Will a cold air intake bump the mpg as well as the throttle response??
and the packages available run from less than 100 to over 400 dollars.
Currently has 69k on the od. No other mods.
Yeah I had one for about a year and took it out. Sure it sounded cool, but it made zero difference in performance. I took it out because when towing on the highway, I was constantly right at that RPM where the transmission wanted to shift, and I had to listen to that louder RPM all the time.

Registered
I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 motor. I tow a camper and the gas mileage stinks. Will a cold air intake bump the mpg as well as the throttle response??
If you can go buy some exhaust tubeing for your truck and cut off the muffler. You will gain some mpg plus its pretty cheap for the money also will increase your hp a little more .

Registered
What kind of gas mileage you getting while towing and what kind of road are traveling like are you pulling uphill?

Registered
14 Silverado
I pull a 27ft, 7320 GVW travel trailer with my 2014 1500 5.3 4wd crew cab and I get 9-11 mpg depending on the roads I'm on. But I don't pull over 65mph. My Envoy with the 5.3 got the same pulling a 19ft TT.
It is what it is. Travel trailers really cut gas mileage. But we love to travel and see the US so it's figured into the cost of the trip.

Registered
Something I didn't see (maybe just missed it) is just what size and weight TT is the OP pulling. Inquiring minds want to know. Sometimes we simply ask too much of our equipment without even realizing it. All mechanical equipment has limits, and those guys who design, build and sell it are most often going to provide the very best it can produce in order to maintain sales. There's just no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, there are gains to be made here, but the cost to attain them is just not feasible for the task at hand. jj

Registered
Cai won't do shit, but a supercharger sure will

Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
X2 on the airraid tube. Increased throttle response, and you can actually hear something when hitting the gas
Nope, sorry. More noise, but there is no increased throttle response. That's an assumption and what you want to believe. I have one on my 15......but the ONLY reason I installed it was because it significantly "cleans up" the look and the hose routing of my E2 catch can hoses.

Administrator
+1 on what Jeff says ^^^^. I had an AR tube on my '13. No difference whatsoever. I took it off because of the intake noise being too loud for me. Hmmm... I should sell the tube.

Reactions: mike49024

Registered
2012 Sierra
I pull a 27ft, 7320 GVW travel trailer with my 2014 1500 5.3 4wd crew cab and I get 9-11 mpg depending on the roads I'm on. But I don't pull over 65mph. My Envoy with the 5.3 got the same pulling a 19ft TT.
It is what it is. Travel trailers really cut gas mileage. But we love to travel and see the US so it's figured into the cost of the trip.
Have you looked at a tune? That will provide you better throttle response, and more likely to increase mpg than any CAI could ever dream of.

My 2012 5.3 3.42 gear got 12.5mpg pulling a 7k lbs enclosed car hauler at 65mph for 800 miles. I鈥檓 basically stock with a tune. Not an apples to apples comparison, but I would think your direct inject engine could possibly do a bit better.

Registered
and the on the od. No other mods.

No.
Cold air intakes aren't worth it. Your factory filter box pulls cold air from the headlight area or from inside the fender space. The airbox keeps out mud, sand water dirt that can harm yor filter.
A good tune up, good oil, and other lubes as well as proper tire pressures reduce the most friction.
Reduce the weight you drive around with increases milage.
A fiberglass camper is the lightest.
Some older trucks just get bad mileage.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts