Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 gmc sierra that I use off road and on high way and I have been tossing around the idea of a cold air intake. is it worth it and which one is better for off road use also. thanks for the advice

· Registered
64 Posts
Don't waste your money because the factory intake already draws cold air from outside of the engine bay. One example is from inside the fender well. I don't know why people waste their money on those things, it might look nice but it ads no performance benefit over a stock intake.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
Short and sweet answer. No, it's not worth it if you are expecting performance or fuel economy gains. If you want it to sound different and possibly meaner. Then maybe it is worth it to you. A change in sound is what you really get the most of from a CAI.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
I agree with the keep the factory box crowd. The Airaid MIT or Jr. kit is all you need. I was lucky enough to win a Volant CAI for my last truck. As nice as it looked and sounded, it really didn't make any difference on truck performance, and I would never spend the money on one. Also if you look at any of the performance gain information you'll see the most gains are at around 4,000 rpm. I don't know about you, but my truck rarely sees rpm's that high.

· Registered
122 Posts
I just put an MIT Airaid tube on my 5.3 with a stock box and filter. I've had a Flowmaster cat back system on for a while.....but now that I increased the intake cfm it's a beast! Not huge gains, but better throttle response and overall better sound to it. With any naturally aspirated engine...better outflow and inflow will always yield a bit more power and torque. That's simple physics except what a computer module controls. I think of the free flowing intake tube like a 400 verses a 600 carburetor cfm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,552 Posts
I actually have a Spectre CAI on my truck. Does not add any real performance. There is a bit of improvement in throttle response but minimal really. Still, I like the look of it and the sound even more. Got the kit brand new from a friend that totaled his truck before ever installing. Could not pass it up for $20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.