Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question but I need some help and couldn't find the answer.

I see a lot of owners install a 2" leveling kit. Why? Is it to allow for installation of a larger tire?

If I am not going to install a bigger tire, does it make any sense to install a leveling kit?

Also, I think having a little bit of rake looks good (assuming rake means higher in the back) so why do folks think being completely level is better?

Would you level your truck if you weren't installing bigger tires?

If you wanted to raise just a little, but still keep some rake, could you raise the front 2" and the back maybe 2"?

There's already a lot of wheel well showing as is so I am not sure if raising makes sense if I am not installing a bigger tire?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Putting a bigger tire on is a bonus to leveling out your truck, but I think most people do it because they think it looks better than having the nose so much lower.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
^ Agreed..... a lot of people level their truck and leave the stock tires on. It gives the truck a more "aggressive" or "truck-like" stance when levelled.

That's just my opinion of course! :grin:

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
My motivation was a little different. True, I liked the leveled more "aggressive" look, but I live rural, and there are several instances where that extra 2" would be ideal. Like when the country grades the gravel roads I live on. I have found that stock height, one can scrape the skid plate on the gravel hump the grader leaves after the first pass. Leveling cured that. Then the snow factor in the winter in my area on those same roads. And then the off roading into cornfields, pastures, etc that I need to do occasionally. The leveling gives a little extra edge in clearing stuff without scraping the bottom. That is also why I removed the plastic aero dam on the bottom of the front bumper. Within a month I would have turned that into something that looked like the victim of a tragic farming accident.

If being out of whack when putting some major weight in the back makes leveling seem to not be a great thing, there is always air bags from Firestone and others that one can use to get the back end height to normal. And it makes for a very smooth ride.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Leveling the truck is mostly for looks and installing larger tires. If your considering a level kit, keep in mind the rake is also there for rear squat, when towing/ hauling with your truck. If you want to level your truck with a 2" level kit and keep some rake, RC has a 2" lift that raises your front 2", it also replaces your factory rear 1.25" blocks with 2" blocks and leaves you 3/4" of rake.

·
Registered
255 Posts
David, welcome to the forum. I just returned from an elk hunt in northwest Az. My first hunt with my new 2013 1500 CC 4X4. I scraped bottom three times so I just ordered a 2 1/2 in. level kit to hopefully lift me over rocks and deep ruts. The rake on my truck IMO looks too extreme! Another plus for leveling. I have no desire to change tire size from stock because I tow a toy hauler and larger tires will change my gear ratio some. Just my reasons.

·
Registered
311 Posts
On that same note of lifting the front a little and leaving some rake; you can install a leveling kit and not crank your torsion bars to the full 2" or whatever you decide. Most will have a range like "1.5-2.5" or something like that. You need to crank them enough to load the torsion bars, but after that you can stop and leave the truck with a little rake. However, the rear block kits are dirt cheap and you could just as well raise the whole truck two inches, haha. Remember to get your truck aligned within 100 miles or so of leveling your truck- personally it's my first stop after something like that.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
BigJimboFitz said:
On that same note of lifting the front a little and leaving some rake; you can install a leveling kit and not crank your torsion bars to the full 2" or whatever you decide. Most will have a range like "1.5-2.5" or something like that. You need to crank them enough to load the torsion bars, but after that you can stop and leave the truck with a little rake. However, the rear block kits are dirt cheap and you could just as well raise the whole truck two inches, haha. Remember to get your truck aligned within 100 miles or so of leveling your truck- personally it's my first stop after something like that.
The OP doesn't have torsion bars...it's a 1/2 ton truck..

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Just for reference, I leveled mine and have run on stock wheel/tire combo for over a year. Bigger are coming though......

All about preference, if the OP likes a little rake but want's more clearance the combination lifts with the rear block are always an option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.