Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had light housings that took H11 bulbs and now have housings with H7 bulbs. Can I buy a cheap HID kit for the wiring between HD relay kit and bulb to avoid replacing entire system? I will likely replace bulb with better, but the relay harness I have will fit any bulb size? It's the amp wires that fit the bulb not the harness that fits bulb right?

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
So you want to just buy a different set of HID bulbs? You can buy HID bulbs separate from a full kit in whatever size is available. They should all connect to a harness and ballast the same way. The fit is in the housing I believe, and with the right bulb you should be good to go.

5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I have a kit for H11 installed now, but got new headlights via warranty. They didn't have my old style housings so had to get different ones that take H7. The H11 bulb and H7 bulb are very different in the connection wires needed. I want to buy a cheap H7 HID kit to obtain the amp wires that fit the new H7 bulbs needed. I want to continue to use the HD relay and ballasts I have installed now. Can I just steal the H7 bulbs and the immediate connecting wires to bulbs and expect them to fit my existing HD harness? Morimoto site labels HD relay harnesses by bulb size, but they are all pictured the same. Other sites label one HD relay harness like it's one size that fits all. I thought the fit was by bulb to housing and wires behind bulb to HD harness, but beyond that imediate behind the bulb connection all else was interchangeable. I see they are all different going by Morimoto site, but not sure at same time. Why would they go thru the trouble to list the HD relay harnesses all by bulb size if it doesn't matter? So does it?

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
Give The Retrofit Source a call, and ask them. They are very knowledgeable and also have good service. You can just tell them you're trying to figure out what to buy, so your wife can buy them as a gift, in case they try to sell on you..but they are not pushy like that.

5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ricka182 said:
Give The Retrofit Source a call, and ask them. They are very knowledgeable and also have good service. You can just tell them you're trying to figure out what to buy, so your wife can buy them as a gift, in case they try to sell on you..but they are not pushy like that.
Okay so TRS say's just the bulbs and corresponding wiring will come with which in turn mate to any ballast with Amp output so for $40 I am back in the HID game. Went with Morimoto XB 5500k.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Shoulda just had them send you the fogs too! :) can't wait to see how they look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In due time. I gotta watch my P's and Q's for a bit. It being Christmas and I bought a new snowblower and log splitter last week. Pics asap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.