Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I start up and get the coolant low, add coolant display. It's a 2012. First time it's happened. I have no leaks. No smoke. When at operating temp upper hose is plyable when squeezed and a small amount of fluid can be seen going to reservoir and back out when I let go. Never a high temp, though it's been in the 30-40s. Fine this summer too. Never over 210degrees even pulling 10k in the summer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jonathan

· Registered
572 Posts
This is very common as the weather turns cooler. The system is not sealed and looses coolant during warmer weather and results in a slight low condition with cooler weather. Just top it up per OM recommendations.

· Registered
382 Posts
GR2017 said:
This is very common as the weather turns cooler. The system is not sealed and looses coolant during warmer weather and results in a slight low condition with cooler weather. Just top it up per OM recommendations.
I've never heard of this. I've never had to add coolant to a truck unless it was leaking or I had to drain it for some reason. I have had a coolant level sensor go bad before tho and cause an issue like this. OP, is the coolant level actually low in the reservoir or is it just displaying the warning on the DIC?

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
lol yes, I would like to know how this is "very common"

Maybe on the 70s coolant systems. But the newer ones it is not common to loose coolant unless there is an issue.

But if its visibly at the full line in your res, then its a sensor issue.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is visibly low. Nothing weird at the oil dipstick either. No water present.

· Registered
382 Posts
If there is coolant/water in there, it will look like a milky brown swirl in your oil. Is there anything noticeably out of the norm on you dipstick?

· Registered
787 Posts
Don't count on being able to see the coolant in your oil. I tackled this problem for six months before finally sending an oil sample in for analysis which showed coolant in the oil. If the leak into the oil is not too large and if you are using DexCool antifreeze you may not see the classic signs of it in the oil. If the problem continues and you can't find it any where else get the oil analyzed by some lab such as Blackstone Labs. If it's in the oil it is causing damage. How much damage depends on how much coolant in the oil and how long.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have filled the resivior and its held for several days. I will have the oil analyzed if it persists.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I filled it up not to long ago since it had been low. I noticed when it was 20+-degrees lately and noticed it was low again. I checked it as soon as I got home and it was high, over flowing slightly. I guess it never actually never went anywhere. Maybe a cold issue with expansion and contraction I've never heard of in auto terms.

· Registered
6 Posts
Just got done with this problem. Replaced lower radiator hose after using some black light dye. The leak stopped but the coolant continued to disappear. Took it to dealership to have them give me a diagnosis. The told me it was an issue with a head gasket. Was pushing gases into the coolant reserve tank and causing continual overflows. They definitely saw something that I didn't. Told me not to drive the truck and 10 weeks before they could get to it. I asked if they would take it on trade since is should have still been covered by power train warranty(2014 duramax 55K miles). They would not take it on trade. Everyother dealership I talked to wanted to take it as if nothing was wrong. Long story shortened. Drove 6 hours and picked up a 2016 Chevy Duramax 2500 LT. Not happy with the situation. but the end result sure is pretty.

· Registered
49 Posts
In case anybody finds this post looking for an "invisible leak", I had one on my 04.5 3500 Silverado (6.6 duramax). I finally took it to my diesel mechanic after not being able to locate the leak, and he found it at the top of the engine. It may have been related to the turbo?, but he told me that the hose fitting was leaking, but because it's on top of the engine, and it would only leak under power, that the leak would dissipate and dry up almost immediately after the truck was shut off, and that's why I couldn't find it. Also, it was under a lot of stuff on top of the engine. Anyway, I feared a bad gasket or cracked head, but it was a top hose leak. After he fixed it, I've never had a problem since. But it's one of those hidden head scratchers if you don't know where to look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.