Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Which tire (285/70r17) would be the best for me?

• Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Nitto Terra Grappler

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

Votes: 12 54.5%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be a 285/70r17 on a 17X8.5 6-139.7 25MTB rim with RC2.5" kit.

I am mostly on pavement, but go to the beach and play in some light mud about once a month. Also, I live in Houston, tx so snow isn't an issue.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Goodyear duratrac's gets my vote again :D they are a great all around tire, while still providing good traction in off road conditions and you will still get a lot miles out of them on highway.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Have never run the ST's, so I can't offer a opinion on those. I have run the Terra's on my 2011 Silverado. Nice looking tire, but the day I was on a decent sized hill on wet grass with 6 month old Terra's and couldn't get them to quit slippin all over the place, I knew they were going up for sale.
Running the DuraTracs now. Very satisfied. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
i have only ran the trail grapplers and the stt's but my dad has a z71 tahoe and he has had them for 50k miles and they still ride and look really good. Those get my vote for AT's!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the duratracs loud on the highway?

This is probably a dumb question but what does "studded" mean? I was looking at them online and it's $15 extra/ each for studding them? This something I need?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
DuraTrac's aren't very loud on the highway. Studding is used for when you are driving on ice to help give you grip. In Texas you shouldn't have to worry about that. My vote goes to the DuraTrac.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah ok on the studding, figured as much, we don't have that stuff down here and I don't leave Texas much lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've run the Duratracs from new to about 25% left. They are a great tire for both on and off road. The problem lies when they start to wear. They are NOISEY. They wore uneven (tires were rotated every 5000kms). The noise was getting unbearable when I finally sold my old truck. Right now, my vote is the grapplers. I'm loving them but they only have 4500kms on them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I definitely like the grapplers price, just worried about how they'll do off road

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was thinking trail grapplers also. I currently am running the duratracs but that's cause i live in PA and have to deal with snow and ice. If not for that i would have definitely gotten the trail grapplers even with them being a little louder on the road. Between the 3... i would go ST maxx for all round performance and quiet ride, but the duratracs look so much better and are probably better offroad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.