Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For along time I've been wanting to customize my dash in both of my vehicles. The most practical at home idea I can come up with is painting. I was wondering if any of y'all have customized your dash or door panels or whatever. and how you did it. Maybe what kind of paint and how you prepped it and the whole nine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the restoration of my '76 Suburban I've been using SEM Color Coat. Clean the parts with a degreaser/alcohol, scuff with a green 3M pad and clean again, then do several light coats.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's very helpful thanks. Ever painted any plastic trim?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I've painted plastic interior panels on my 88 4runner, i was young and dumb and just sprayed simple green on it bought dupli color interior spray paint, it came out fair but for a month, but it came right off when i was wiping it down

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was afraid of that myself. I've seen it done on some trucks but wasn't sure how well it would hold up. I wonder if I could fiber glass em? Vinyl overlays? Like a sticker?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Gold C20 said:
All the trim in that truck is vinyl/plastic. The SEM Color Coats are made for this application. On a different forum I visit a lot of the guys use it too and have never had problems as long as they prep it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AbramJ said:
Gold C20 said:
All the trim in that truck is vinyl/plastic. The SEM Color Coats are made for this application. On a different forum I visit a lot of the guys use it too and have never had problems as long as they prep it.
Ooooooohhhhhhh I got ya, very cool man. Sorry I had a brain fart

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree. Would I have to scuff up the plastic before I layed on the fiberglass?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.