Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
3481 - 3500 of 3744 Posts

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
That SHOULD be common sense to most. All electric is and will always be impractical.

Might as well install trolleys on all road and have to hook to an electric line to have constant power.. but then what is going to power these monolithic scale power plants. Oh yeah, fossil fuels.

My alternate energy sources professor in college, 2017, whom worked with some of the startup wind and other power companies.. old dude. said we are decades away from where "they" want us to be.

Reactions: RedSLEd

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,614 Posts
Might be time to invest in military surplus truck mounted generators! Kinda gotta wonder if and what the statute of the EV mandate will be. Meaning that out here in CA vehicles 1975 and older are exempt from smog testing.
So how old of a vehicle will be exempt from EV requirements?
Might look into a "Mobile Charging" service truck! It would have to be able to handle multiple Rapid Charging set ups with a meter for charging fees.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
207 Posts
Is there something you have used to clean oil leaks off engines, trans, and crossmembers etc that works great?

On the farm we never really cleaned up a lot of stuff other than some purple power mixed 1:1 and a pressure washer.

Is there anything better these days? It can be used in a pump sprayer or aerosol can don't care. After I fix my oil cooler lines and transmission lines I am going to clean everything underneath good. Then spray with something for protection.

I was reading this and haven't ever used any of them, though have hear of sonnax in general being a good product. And I have heard of the gunk before.
:oops:
This stuff can be toxic, should be used in an outdoor environment but can do a great job to clean up parts.

Top 10 Best Brake Cleaners, 2022 - AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,899 Posts
Might be time to invest in military surplus truck mounted generators! Kinda gotta wonder if and what the statute of the EV mandate will be. Meaning that out here in CA vehicles 1975 and older are exempt from smog testing.
So how old of a vehicle will be exempt from EV requirements?
Might look into a "Mobile Charging" service truck! It would have to be able to handle multiple Rapid Charging set ups with a meter for charging fees.
In Texas, only certain cities and counties are subject to smog testing.....but as far as older cars and smog testing, it's a "rolling" 25 years.....so in 2022, cars models 1997 and older are exempt. In 2023 it will be cars 1998 and older, etc.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
4,219 Posts
In Texas, only certain cities and counties are subject to smog testing.....but as far as older cars and smog testing, it's a "rolling" 25 years.....so in 2022, cars models 1997 and older are exempt. In 2023 it will be cars 1998 and older, etc.
I know that they say they are subject to smog but I don't think a single testing station in Texas actually does it. Tarrant is a smog county and I have never had that happen to me.

·
Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
I'm all for electric vehicles as an option only. This govt push for electric vehicles is stupid, if my neighbor wants a tesla, so be it, but don't force me to get one if i dont want it.
I saw a tik tok the other day about a company up in canada that has started converting atmospheric CO2 into usable fuels for cars and trucks, thats the kind of stuff that people should be getting behind, not electrics. (Carbon Engineering | Direct Air Capture of CO2 | Home). If they can achieve net zero emissions that way, its a win win

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
This may turn into a gold mine especially with the push in commiefornia

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
charging by the minute because my time is very pricey.. sounds like a song

Basically a huge diesel generator on a flat bed truck. Long thick leads. If you could tow one customer closer to another then charge both hmmm

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2,614 Posts
Now thats what I'm Talking about!! Looks like I'm gonna have some competition out there! He chose a nice truck!
But I'm searching now for cheaper military surplus! I've seen them out there, Theres a place in Southern CA that sells Military surplus! Might take a ride soon!
Also,, don't know if your aware, some companies will NOT tow an EV, some wont even flat bed them. If one catches fire it becomes a large Haz Mat incident! once extinguished it must be stored out away from any building and other vehicles for 24 - 48 hours! Allot of tow yards won't touch them!
Last week I took my wifes car in for a tire rotation at a Americas Tire, they were changing a wheel/tire on a Tesla out in the parking lot.
I laughed and joked that they didn't want to risk brining it in and working on it (weather was in the 90s).
Sales guy said they received direction to NOT bring it in the bay and work on them, Must be done outside! Then goes on to tell me that the tire is a complete tire/wheel set up, they had no way to remove tire from rim so the owner had to buy a wheel and tire already mounted!
He also said that the cars owner had it flat bedded in (by a company that would do it) and it had to sit outside for three days until they could get the wheel/tire. He also said none of his employees could drive the vehicle (company policy) and that he believes the battery was well below 5% and they had to plug it in to a 110 volt outlet only when they were open. I asked if they were going to charge the customer for that and he said no. I joked and asked if he was going to fill the tank in my car when they were done?
I got that funny look out of him and I said "Fair is Fair" if your filling his tank,, I want the same treatment!
To bad I needed all the tires on my car or I could do like the commercial shows and chuck one thru their window!
We both sorta chuckled but he finally said that all he wanted was that car out of there!
Ah,, EVs, the answer to all or problems!

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
207 Posts
:rolleyes:

:unsure:
Here is an interesting and informative update from this weekends Wall Street Journal. The average price of gas is $3.11 a gallon in Texas and $3.39 in Florida despite supply disruptions from Hurricane Ian.
Compare that against California where the average price this week surged to $6.29 a gallon. More than $2.50 above the national average.. Reasons why......taxes add about 66 cents to the price of a gallon about twice as much on average as other states. Californias cap-and-trade program and low carbon fuel standard add roughly another 46 cents a gallon.
California lost 12 % of refining capacity between 2017 and 2021 and is set to loose another 8 % by end of next year.
If you're a refiner on the Gulf coast, your gross profit on gasoline is about $6.60 (per barrel of oil) while if you're a refiner in Los Angeles, that same profit is about $101.:rolleyes:
side note: The governor there wants to export the states energy policies nationwide and is prepping for a possible run for the 2024 presidential election.:sneaky:

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Tomi, I was in natchez this past weekend, saw this and with all of your traveling wondered if youve been?
Nah. We're not rally attendees, really. Some of the guys in our group have gone to Daytona and Sturgis, but that's about it. We prefer to do our own thing.

Like this time when there were 11 of us (4 from Dallas and 7 from Atlanta) riding this weekend around NC/TN border. Stayed at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort at the southern end of Tail Of The Dragon and due to the potential of some inclement weather from Ian, there were hardly any others and we had the place mostly to ourselves. :ROFLMAO: It's a bit run down place, but in great location. Has outdoor grills, huge firepit etc. that you need for a thorough debrief of the day's ride while enjoying a beer or two or three and maybe even some distilled stuff. 😁

Five days, 2100+ miles later, came back last night around 7pm. Awesome long weekend once again. Might post a pic or two later when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
207 Posts
Nah. We're not rally attendees, really. Some of the guys in our group have gone to Daytona and Sturgis, but that's about it. We prefer to do our own thing.

Like this time when there were 11 of us (4 from Dallas and 7 from Atlanta) riding this weekend around NC/TN border. Stayed at the Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort at the southern end of Tail Of The Dragon and due to the potential of some inclement weather from Ian, there were hardly any others and we had the place mostly to ourselves. :ROFLMAO: It's a bit run down place, but in great location. Has outdoor grills, huge firepit etc. that you need for a thorough debrief of the day's ride while enjoying a beer or two or three and maybe even some distilled stuff. 😁

Five days, 2100+ miles later, came back last night around 7pm. Awesome long weekend once again. Might post a pic or two later when I get a chance.

(y)
Great riding area there. I've been there and done that several years ago. Gotta look out for some "crazies" that think they can ride better than others. Many of them go over the edge. Thankfully, as I understand it they have banned large vehicle traffic from going thru there. we encountered a truck/camper combo coming in the opposite direction the first time out there.:eek:

3481 - 3500 of 3744 Posts