Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
3641 - 3660 of 4132 Posts

· TOTM
1,423 Posts
Windshield of the Suburban had a bit too many long cracks, so had that replaced. Let's see if my wife notices anything when she comes back from her two week trip on Sunday. Probably not... 🤦‍♂️
Who do you use for windshield replacements? I will need to be getting this done in the next 6 or so months on my wifes rig too..

· Registered
3,909 Posts
Who do you use for windshield replacements? I will need to be getting this done in the next 6 or so months on my wifes rig too..
Just a local joint up in Denton off Hwy 380 I’ve used a couple of times before. 400 bucks is good enough for me since I paid out of my own pocket this time.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,644 ·
So as it turns out, when an engine crane fails, and causes it to land on your foot, a 2000lb engine doesn't feel too great. It also breaks bones into 3 pieces.

Had a the crane at work give out today and like a shot, it came down and landed square on the top of my foot and pinned it to the floor. Had to push the crane over to get my foot out.

Went to urgent care and they did xrays. Broke in 3 pieces. Need to go to an orthopedic doctor to determine the best course of action moving forward if I'll need surgery or not (hopefully not).

20,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,648 ·
Yeah it could have gone much, much worse. It happened so fast that I didn't even take notice as to what went first, but it ended up with the legs kicking out and the engine dropping and the big front wheel of the crane ended up on my foot before I even knew what was going on.

Crazy how adrenaline keeps you going for a while. I didn't even feel any pain at all for like 20 minutes. Hell i had time to pick the engine up and get it back on its pallet (was a core motor anyway) before I started to feel pain. But once I did start to feel it, oh boy did it hurt lol.

Here's the offending combo.

20,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,650 ·
Honestly it was just a combination of crane not really rated for the load, and improper safety as far as where I was standing. I was too close to something I knew I shouldn't be that close too. But I got complacent since I've done it a million times and it's been fine. Well it wasn't fine.

It happend so quick I'm not even sure exactly what happened first, the engine hitting the pallet, or the crane landing on me. But I will be getting rid of this crane (or should I say someone will be getting rid of it) tomorrow and will be ordering a new one that is far heavier duty. I want to find one that's rated at least 1000lbs over the max I'll ever do at full extension. So basically needs to be rated at least 3,000lbs at full extension.

· Member Extraordinaire, SilveradoSierra Guru
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 LC9 211k mi
18,532 Posts
I hear you. That happens so often. I have gotten a few small injuries that certainly could have been avoided if I were thinking right. Gashed my thumb recently trying to correct a dent in some chrome molding on my wifes Armada while the window guy was putting it all back together. Not sure if he dented it or it was like that. I showed it to him and he was like, I have no idea how to fix that. I grabbed a right angle pick and pushed the end under it and was pulling out the dent. Right about the time my brain said if this slips its gonna get your finger...it slipped and ripped into my thumb. I know better but there it happened. A week or more of hurting and not so easy to use my finger for stuff.

Looking at that old lift, the front two legs seems sort of narrow for the height of it and the load.

20,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,652 ·
Yeah this crane should have been thrown in the scrap pile many moons ago. It works good for smaller stuff, but ask it to do the real heavy motors and it's not ideal at all, as I found out.

But on the bright side, I'll be able to complete my OEM update training now lol.

· How-To Author
2009 5.3l 6l80
6,014 Posts
That will be a serious engine hoist. My 2T I just bought is only 1/2 ton at full extension. I wonder if you will have to have a 6T then based on that.

Hopefully it wasnt your go fast foot, glad it was only broken bones too.

20,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,655 ·
Nope can still give her the beans. It was my left foot. But can't drive a manual for the time being

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
Well I guess it's the beginning of the end. In the not too far off future we will all be a main ingredient in the To Serve Man cookbook since the first Kanamit was elected to the Senate in PA.
I may be roasted for this (preferably slow roasted for more flavor) but here is the evidence...

Forehead Photograph White Jaw Sleeve

Black-and-white Table Monochrome photography Monochrome Event

· How-To Author, TOTM
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
6,010 Posts
Well I guess it's the beginning of the end. In the not too far off future we will all be a main ingredient in the To Serve Man cookbook since the first Kanamit was elected to the Senate in PA.
I may be roasted for this (preferably slow roasted for more flavor) but here is the evidence...

View attachment 951727

View attachment 951728
Unbelievable....but I think he looks more like a reject from Sons of Anarchy.
Perhaps Eric can clue us in as to how this guy could possibly win......

20,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,658 ·
Yeah same way Biden "won". It's another situation where the cities control the state. Plus I have zero faith in the election integrity in this state, or country for that matter

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,671 Posts
You should have warned them that it's a cookbook!

Disclaimer: references to the Twilight Zone episode To Serve Man may pre date many of the members. If you don't get it ask someone more knowledgeable, and for God's sake DO NOT get on that ship!

3641 - 3660 of 4132 Posts