Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1701 - 1720 of 1744 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Silverado 2500HD 4x4
1,957 Posts
You have to wonder if thats not driver error? Are these guys down shifting going up grades or are they just laying on the throttle?
Thats a lot of stress! Some guys drive with their foot to the floor all the time. At some time you gotta lift and give the engine a break,downshift and less throttle "Let 'er cool" !
Gotta wonder what these truck driving schools are teaching now a days?
Like "Dry Turning" I seen a condo sleeper pulling a 53' dry van, truck stops and the driver just turns the wheel to back up with out keeping the truck rolling? It may be "power Steering" but its only gonna take so much force before something breaks!
Again,, What are they teaching these folks?

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,703 ·
All the trucks that have failed so far that I've gotten have been automated transmissions.

And these motors and transmissions have extreme fail safes and they will quite literally totally shut down if they see the slightest thing that aren't happy with.

I think the bearings are just junk, or the connecting rods aren't strong enough.

But it seems to be all brands anymore. The new cummins motors are doing the same thing. I've seen those blow the entire side of the block apart and wipe the air compressor right off the engine lol.

This is the 4th truck I'm swinging an engine in. And another just got towed in a few minutes ago for a "really bad rod knock" according to the driver. So I'm assuming that that'll be a new motor as well.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I only got to drive a few Auto trans trucks before I retired out of that. The Kenworth seemed to have it pretty well dialed in but the Freightliner cabs I have driven they seems to run long on the down shift and it seems as I have been instructed that you just keep your foot in it and it will decide when to down shift.
It sure seemed to me as though it was close to lugging right before the harsh down shift! My EGT stayed allot cooler by me selecting the down shift rather than the computer!
You gotta hope some of these companies have insurance for that big of a repair!
Can't imagine the total repair cost plus the down time.
Just had a family friend graduate Truck Driving school and she said their entire fleet was Auto Shift trucks. Glad I got out when I did!
Hell they don't even show you how to adjust brakes anymore! She told me the Brakes were just a View item only,, they just go under and look at how much pad is left! Asked if they demonstrate how to "cage" the brakes. She had no idea what I was talking about!
Crazy! No wonder they took on the name "Steering Wheel Holders" instead of Drivers!

·
Super Moderator
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,705 ·
So far all have been warranty. I get the engines same day as the truck arrives.

I can generally swing one of these in about 25 hours or so. Sometimes less depending on the chassis. This one is a little longer due to the damage of some of the other components.

But the cummins I did that was not warranty, those motors are around $30k for the motor alone. Some are even more dependent on how complete they are.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I didn't think they were that much.. no idea why. But a family member had to replace the block in his (under warranty luckily) and it was like 30-40k all said and done. Crazy!

Cant remember if I have asked you before but do you get a lot of PACCAR brand engines in the shop? Used to work there and all I heard was million mile guarantee. But I have family members that have had nothing but problems with the emission systems on them.

·
Super Moderator
18,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,707 ·
Luckily I don't need to deal with those paccar motors much. Same with the newer Detroit motors. I get them in every so often, but not often enough to get super familiar.

The smaller paccar motors are just a cummins painted grey. The mx13 is a pile in my opinion. Need to pull the engine to do the cam since it comes out of the rear side of the engine.

And the Detroits have an overly complex fuel system imo.

I deal mostly with cummins and Navistar motors. Some cat as well, but anymore those aren't as common. But you don't get much better than a B motor in my opinion. Simple, powerful, and easy to work on. Just not too cheap to work on lol. They don't call it gold power for nothing haha.

As far as chassis goes, the best to work on is the Navistar trucks post like mid 2000s. The older trucks, the Pete's and international are my favorites. I also work on all the motor homes and fire trucks that come through the shop. Actually working on a close to $600k motor home now.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
After working in a place like that where they machine and build them its easy to understand how they can get screwed up from the factory like the new ones. Still should not happen but it does. The MX11 and MX13 are the only ones I remember as well as a few trials that ran through while there.

Its funny how they were praised so much by the company (obviously) and yet those that use and work on them seem to say things like you do. I wish that companies and engineers would "get out more" and fix these things.

For 600k I better not have engine problems LMAO

·
Registered
454 Posts
Getting really frustrated n irritated with the Covid excuse for just about everything

Couldn't get a motorcycle tire mounted today

Cause of Covid I was told I needed to make appointment...You serious for a tire swap
And that's with me bringing in the wheel n new tire..... And they jacked up the price to $50 .. Guess businesses don't wanna make money anymore....$50 for like 15mins of work

And than every other shop closed early
Covid....

And than the worst one..

The Harley dealer said ok will do it
But ask what kind of motorcycle
As soon as I said Yamaha..

He said the only work on Harleys

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,429 Posts
Getting really frustrated n irritated with the Covid excuse for just about everything

Couldn't get a motorcycle tire mounted today

Cause of Covid I was told I needed to make appointment...You serious for a tire swap
And that's with me bringing in the wheel n new tire..... And they jacked up the price to $50 .. Guess businesses don't wanna make money anymore....$50 for like 15mins of work

And than every other shop closed early
Covid....

And than the worst one..

The Harley dealer said ok will do it
But ask what kind of motorcycle
As soon as I said Yamaha..

He said the only work on Harleys

Where do you live? With the covid crazies?
Surely not a free state like Texas or Florida!
I have no trouble getting anything done these days. No masks required....That being said, some supplies are a problem, however.
There's a privately owned tire place a block behind my wife's store. Been in business over 40 years. Will change a tire or tube on anything from a wheel barrow to a huge tractor. Most you'll ever wait is an hour.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
50 bucks??? :eek::mad: That’s ridiculous! And here I thought it was steel when the shop I sometimes use raised it from 20 to 30 when they moved to their much fancier new digs.

Usually we do it ourselves with riding buddies with the self-built equipment one of the guys has.:cool: Just did six tires last Saturday. None for me, so I was just there for emotional support and drinking beer.:ROFLMAO:

Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Cooking

·
Registered
454 Posts
I live in Palms springs Ca...

Just BS... i usually walk in n walk out half hrs later...
The wheel I have is a 18x9.5 ..and takes a 250 tire... not easily changed my hand..

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Make a note of who gigs you and who refuses you.
This Covid crap wont last for ever. I would pass on to any of my friends what stores to avoid and I would refuse to do business with those companies ever again! If its a larger company, I would drop a letter to corporate and let them know how you feel!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Step 1: collect underpants.....

Motors out of the yfz450 finally and getting ready to head to the motor shop.

Gonna keep the piston for my wall of shame.. it's earned it that's for sure.

It came apart at all but full throttle on me a while back and finally had some time and $ to throw at this thing.

Be nice to have my toy back finally

Just a few more weeks till she's back and throwing gravel around.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
687 Posts
Make a note of who gigs you and who refuses you.
This Covid crap wont last for ever. I would pass on to any of my friends what stores to avoid and I would refuse to do business with those companies ever again! If its a larger company, I would drop a letter to corporate and let them know how you feel!
This is where I'm at these days... I'm voting with my time and money. If anyone is trying to pull BS on me.. I cut them out and tell everyone else I know not to go there.
Bad business practices = you'll go out of business eventually. Only makes sense. If you are in business to actually serve people and be helpful, I'll give you my time and money and recommendation.

I had a family reunion here in north Texas over the summer. We all (group of 14) showed up to this little local mostly outdoor wildlife museum place.. they wouldn't allow us in without masks. Even after TX dropped the mask mandates.. So I talked everyone into bailing on the museum. $15 a head just walked OUT your doors cause you want to try and pull BS.. nope. Enough people do that, businesses that want to STAY in business will adapt and survive.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Think I could break the bead on my 285/75r17 E loads install new TPMS sensors and seat the bead with a 8 gallon compressor? The compressor does fine airing up the tires whenever I need to add some and does it quickly. If I need a larger one the neighbor has one.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Just spray some starter fluid and strike a match! That'll seat the bead!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Hahaha

Should have seen the look on my dad's face the first time I suggested that for one of the lawn tractor trailer tires.

You'd have thought I'd grown a 2nd head out of the side of my neck. Lol

I thought he was gonna swallow his tongue when that tire seated right up with a quick fwumph

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,429 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,911 Posts
Oh thats funny

1701 - 1720 of 1744 Posts