Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silverado 2500HD LT Extended Cab Long Bed
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, unfortunately, last month my father-in-law passed away. It was pretty hard for my family, but over the last few weeks I have been hard at work helping my mother-in-law to get of his affairs in order. After selling a garage full of tools, a custom-made dump trailer, helping clear out and sell some vacation property, fixing up and taking over payments for a 2005 RV and last but not least, selling a double carbeurated, supercharged 454 bored out to 496 and pushing 800+hp, we finally got to his truck.

With today's truck market, I found out that my 2015 Silverado 1500 LS Double Cab was worth just slightly more than my father-in-laws 2008 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Diesel Extended Cab Long Bed with 95k miles. After spending a weekend fixing up the Duramax, I was given the option of keeping the Duramax and selling my 1500, giving the money to my MIL. Hmm. It was a very agonizing 4 weeks trying to figure out what I was going to do, as both trucks were pretty even in my eyes. But, in the end, I decided to go with the 6.6 Diesel, as my wife and I want to get a decent sized travel trailer within the next few years.

All of the grandkids (and some of the great nieces and great nephews) called my FIL Papa, and by association, his truck was always called "Papa's Truck", at least by my 8 year old. So, in honor of my FIL, I now present Papa's Truck to this fine community of Silverado and Sierra lovers!

Here are the pics of the truck right after my FIL passed away (after I put on the front bumper).

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive side marker light

Automotive side marker light Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Tire

A few months before he passed away, my FIL got a wild hair and decided that he didn't like the chrome on his truck, so he removed the front end with the intention of blacking it out. He passed away before he could do much blacking out, but he did sand and prime the chrome bumper end caps. So, with this already done, I just decided to lean into it and finish the job for him. I ended up spray painting the caps with a matte black paint, bought new head lights, fog lights, LED bulbs for all and reinstalled everything. I did have to uninstall the new fog lights because the LED bulbs wouldn't fit. Here it is after I put everything back together.

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

I have searched the internet high and low, but I cannot find a black grille for this truck that looks similar to stock. I will probably end up removing it and sanding, priming and painting it black as well, or buying one of those black EAG grilles I have seen on Amazon. If I go that route, I'll just want to find a way to add the emblem to the middle, as I think they look pretty plain and boring.

He backed into a post, so the tailgate is all banged up. I ended up ordering a painted to match tailgate for under $500, so I'll be replacing that when it gets in.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car

I already replaced the canopy handle locks, as they were getting corroded, also, they were the kind with a key that only went in one way, so unlocking them was a chore. The new ones have a key that can be inserted either way.

Inside the bed is a bit different. My FIL was a semi-professional Bass fisherman, so was often traveling for tournaments. He modified the back with some pull-out storage bins, a carpeted sleeping area, and extra 12v battery and some plugs. He also installed wiring for a winch that mounts on the hitch.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

There were additional carpeted sections on the side and the front, but I removed them because they aren't really to my taste. I do like the pull-out storage (you can see the top of the tub in the bottom left), so I'll give it a try. I am still debating wether or not I should remove the board on the driver side, but I'm leaving it in for now because the battery is taller than the raised bed area, and I don't want it to get damaged.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

The interior is in pretty good shape. He did smoke in it, so I ended up paying a auto detailer to clean the inside and outside of it. The smoke smell was gone after an enzyme cleaner and thorough ozone fogging.

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Plant

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer

My FIL did put in quite a few mods, some of them after I put the same ones in my truck and showed him the utility of them.

Anyway, these are the mods that I know about:
*4x4. This truck started out as a rear wheel drive, but my FIL decided that he wanted 4 wheel drive. It took him about 6 months to get it all done, but it works like stock. It took a long time because he had to get some part fabircated.
*Pop-N-Lock power tailgate lock
*Tailgate easy down assist shock
*Extra (3rd) battery in the bed, with battery indicator display, 2 outlet sockets, a portable inverter and wiring to connect a winch.
*2 pull-out tub storage bin contraptions, there are 4 bins per side, both pull-out the full 8 feet
*Underseat storage bin

There are a few things in this truck that I have no idea what they do.
*Remote switch - possibly an old indicator for backing up to a trailer tongue?
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Bumper

*Rocker switch connected to constant power. When I flip it, I hear a clunk noise in the engine bay. I followed the wires, but they got added to a bundle of truck wires inside of some wire tubing, and I didn't want to take it all apart. Possibly has something to do with the 3rd battery in the bed of the truck? Maybe controls a thing to keep the back battery from draining the chassis batteries?

These are the mods I have already done:
*Replaced headlights and added LED's
*Replaced fog light bulbs with LED's
*Blacked out the front bumper end caps
*Installed a new black bumper
*Replaced the stock keyless entry fob with a Boost Autoparts one that resembles my old 2015 1500 fob, as I like it way better than the stock 2008. I did get an extra 2008 one for my wife.

Mods on order:
*Sony XAV-AX8100 head unit
*Infinity Reference component speakers for front + a pair of Reference speakers that I already own for the rear
*4-in-1 touchup paint pen for a few of the paint scratches
*5" oval running boards. The truck had these flimsy 3" ones installed. I removed them and my family members cried about not being able to get in the truck anymore, so I ordered some nicer ones.
*New tailgate painted 412P Sonoma Jewel to match the truck.
*Black Silverado and LT badges for the sides and the tailgate. I'll do the tailgate immediatedly, but he sides are low priority and we'll see when I get to them.
*2 fuse boxes, a box of 30/40 amp relays and associated fuses, connectors and wires. One fuse box is for constant always on, and the other one will be connected to a relay for ignition on. These will be used to power:
1. *Heated seats - backs only, for my piece of trash, always-in-pain back.
2. *AUTO-VOX V5PRO rear view mirror replacement touchscreen dash cam and backup cam. I had the X1Pro in my 1500 and loved it. It works especially good when you have a canopy, because you can't see much with the mirror anyway.
3. *Power socket only on when the ignition is on for charging work flashlights and other tools.
*Replacement license plate lights and backup lights with LED's
*LED bed lights connected to a pin switch that turn on when the tailgate opens. I had the same setup in my old truck and it was one of my favorite mods. So much light!
*4x4 black and gray stickers for the side of the truck up and behind the wheel wells

Things to do in the near future:
*Replace the door window shades, they are noisy when driving and are starting to crack. I haven't bought them yet, because the day after I looked at the ones I wanted, they jumped in price by $25. I'm waiting for them to go back down again.
*Power the Infinity Reference speakers with an amp
*Install a subwoofer under or behind the seat (behind the seat seems too tight to put even a slim, powered sub)
*Sound proof the truck, being a diesel, it's a bit louder than my old truck (sound proofed as well), and it is taking some getting used to.
*Lastly, I'll be replacing the rear bumper with a black one. I'll probably put in the 2015+ ones with the side step, as I have heard that they fit perfect with just a few minor modifications.

There might be a few more things, but this is all I can remember at the moment. I am excited to post pics

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Sorry for the loss but also congrats on the upgrade! Looks well taken care of, and the bed storage is nice. My FIL is also a catfish guide and was looking at doing something like this or getting one of those decked boxes, they are pricey though.

What's the mileage on it and all emissions still on and working as they should?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,715 Posts
I suggest instead of blacking it out you should color match it. Would look a hell of a lot better.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about color matching it. I'll black it out first, and if I decide to repaint, I'll probably color match. I may also spray the chrome with the "chrome shadow" paint, it takes the mirror finish off, dims it down, but is still slightly shiny.

It's at 95k, the engine and exhaust are totally stock as far as I know.

Also, I think he may have leveled it, because the front and back wheel wells are within 1.5 inches from each other. He did replace the shocks with Monroe I think? They are yellow and I vaguely recall having a conversation with him about shocks 5 years ago or so, where I recommended Bilstein, but he said he wanted closer to stock.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
That's nice not even broke in engine wise! I wonder if having the camper shell and the box back there is just weighing down the rear enough to make it look slightly level.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if having the camper shell and the box back there is just weighing down the rear enough to make it look slightly level.
My FIL definitely isn't the type of guy to bother leveling a truck, so I think you are correct. The extra 500 pounds or so lowers the back end just enough to get the leveled look. I might level it in the future, it looks pretty easy on the 2500's. Mainly to put some 33" tires on. Maybe some 20" rims as well.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Yeah just don't forget it will stiffen the ride up due to having the torsion bar style suspension

1 - 7 of 7 Posts