Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my "build" thread on this new-to-me truck.

It's a 2012 Silverado 3500, drw, crew cab, long box, pretty basic model. It appears to have been worked pretty hard, and has had a variety of equipment that was installed in it, cut out pretty roughly.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
L96 flex fuel engine, 6L90 transmission, manual transfer case, according to the rpo codes.

I initially hooked the battery cables up to my other truck, just to power it up, and got stuck on some key security problem, so my code reader couldn't even get any stored dtc's until I figure that out. Tried out the window/door lock power buttons, they only partially work, power windows don't work, fan works, mode seems to work, most of the exterior lights work, didn't try blinkers or wipers.

Passenger front panel is dented up a bit, bed sides are busted up (not a big deal for me, I plan on putting on a flatbed).

I was going to start with getting past the key security problem, so I had bought a new battery for it, but instead decided to try to clean up the engine compartment first. Basically everything in it is covered in packed on dirt. To me, it doesn't seem like someone stuck it in a mud pit, but more probably it was from driving repeatedly on a long muddy road behind somebody else, and never cleaning it up, so it's just multiple layers of baked on mud.

Here's some pics of the engine compartment:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Wood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

That's the steering box, completely encased in dirt, and of course, the ecm, w no cover...
Automotive tire Wood Artifact Trunk Pattern

Initially, I tried getting this stuff off just using a nozzle on a hose, but that basically didn't get anything off. This stuff is hard, and baked on, and the water would mostly just run off instead of loosening it up at all.

Switched to the pressure washer with a wide-angle nozzle, and 45 minutes later:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Gas

Motor vehicle Auto part Metal Wood Hose

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Gas

It's a lot better, but I'm going to hit it again tomorrow, as there are still a bunch of spots with thick, caked on dirt around parts and wiring harnesses. And I need to take a closer look at the radiator. When I looked at it today, it looked reasonably clean from the outside, but it wasn't particularly bright, so I'll put a light on the inside and see how clean the fins are.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,620 Posts
First thing I would have tackled would have been removing the tire from the grille.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was just there to aid in pushing it into it's parking place w/o damaging the bumpers/grilles of that truck and my other truck...

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,266 Posts
That is a lot of dirt and crud! I worked for an older gentleman many years ago and he ran a business pouring solid concrete walls on SC area. He ran pretty low budget and his vehicles were pretty shabby. One station waggon thing that I had to drive temporarily to transport some workers was a real rough one. It was leaking so bad and I popped the hood and it was caked with stuff. I told him I was going to wash it to see where the leak was coming from (I just really wanted to clean it) but he absolutely refused. His words "the dirt is what is holding it all together" haha.

I believe this is a second truck for you? What will be its purpose? How many miles on it? I assume you got it cheap given the present condition. Look forward to watching it get refreshed. The engine cleaning is already a big improvement. How far are you going to take it in terms of restoration?

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
That thing was a farm truck I imagine and its probably missing the splash shield underneath as well I would bet.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a lot of dirt and crud! I worked for an older gentleman many years ago and he ran a business pouring solid concrete walls on SC area. He ran pretty low budget and his vehicles were pretty shabby. One station waggon thing that I had to drive temporarily to transport some workers was a real rough one. It was leaking so bad and I popped the hood and it was caked with stuff. I told him I was going to wash it to see where the leak was coming from (I just really wanted to clean it) but he absolutely refused. His words "the dirt is what is holding it all together" haha.

I believe this is a second truck for you? What will be its purpose? How many miles on it? I assume you got it cheap given the present condition. Look forward to watching it get refreshed. The engine cleaning is already a big improvement. How far are you going to take it in terms of restoration?
This is going to be a backup truck for my other one, as the other one is old enough that, even though it's been pretty reliable, it can break down unexpectedly and I need another vehicle that will go when that happens at the wrong time.

It's got about 150k km on it (100k miles) so not a high-mileage truck, it's just been used hard.

As for how far I'll go with it, I just want to get everything working again, and so the truck looks ok (so replace hood trim and passenger fender which is dented in). The cab doesn't appear rusty, I need to fill/paint the various mounting holes in it. It's going to be a work truck, so it's not getting some fancy paint job, probably the main upgrades will be a radio w carplay, adding DIC controls (from my research, just need to find the DIC panel and plug it in), maybe some running boards. The sides of the bed are damaged, so there's not much point in trying to sell it, when I replace it w a flatbed.

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
You actually likely dont even need the panel.. pull it and look behind it to see if you have the ears for the buttons to clip in and the wiring harness plugged in to a dummy spot. If so just get the buttons and cut the hole yourself, thats what I did. panel is like $60 give or take so it will save a little to go towards something else.

You can also add steering wheel audio controls if it doesnt have it from factory

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to scour junkyards for the bits so they shouldn't be that expensive. Added a steering wheel w swc's to the list of things to find. I need a whole bunch of stuff, as lots of trim/covers/shielding is broken or missing.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Today, I spent more time pressure washing the engine and frame, it's not terrible anymore. There's still going to mud down the center/underside of the truck that I'll get when I have the truck raised a bit.

After that, I installed a new battery w battery maintainer on it, and was able to use Autogenuity w gm enhancement to read codes from all the computers. It takes way too long doing a full scan, as they've got a stupid long timeout for scanning a given module (10-15 seconds for each one), and being a base model, a lot of modules aren't there to scan, but directly scanning a specific module, it'll immediately report the module isn't responding. Dumb.

Anyway, there's a MAP engine sensor code, and some other bcm/trailer brake/abs codes, but the ones preventing the engine from running are the theft deterrent ones, B3060 Immobilizer key not programmed and P0633 unprogrammed transponder identification code received. Since the key is brand new (not by me, but visually looks brand new), one of the last couple of flippers likely lost the key, made a new one and didn't/couldn't get the truck to learn the key.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm thinking about getting a mobile service to program and perhaps make a second key for the truck, but I'm also open to buying a tech ii/mdi2 setup, and then a short SPS subscription to program the key (probably get a second one cut and then program both at the same time).

The problem I have with buying a techii/mdi2, is that I have no idea what exactly I would need to buy to make it work.

Probably one of the items from this page:
Actually, from what I can tell, I would want one of these two packages (as it also includes a win7 laptop w software installed):

MDI2 interface w laptop & software:

The above + a TechII setup:

Does anyone here know if the MDI2 setup alone will pull codes from a GMT800 as well as the GMT900, and run the various diagnostic and repair procedures for both models, or do I also need the tech ii to do the code reading/repair stuff, and the mdi2 for the repair procedures for the GMT900 stuff that needs to pass-through to ACDelco's SPS service?

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,266 Posts
I can't answer those questions, but recall this guy was mentioned on here from time to time and has a couple good videos on using the tool. Perhaps more focused on the GMT800's though...not sure. Lots of other ones out there too just looking at the suggested videos when this one is up.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for those videos. I'll do some more research, but it looks like I would just need the MDI II and then tech2win to do off-line diagnosis stuff, without needing a subscription, and then a subscription to ACDelco's SPS service to do programming (including adding a key if you don't have a working one already).

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, jumped into the deep end and ordered this:

MDI1 passthrough device (in MDI2 box)
used laptop w tech2win software preinstalled

While waiting for it to arrive, I'll hit the local junkyards for various damaged trim pieces, interior and exterior panels, and odd bits and pieces I've noticed is missing or damaged.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Replaced the OBD connector on the truck, as the po busted off the mounting tabs. Straightforward to do, but I forgot to disconnect the battery, so when it was depinned, the power pin shorted out and blew the fuse.

I knew that GM uses the cigarette lighter fuse for powering the obdii port, so I looked through the interior and underhood fuse diagrams for it, found some aux power ones in the dash fuses, they were all good. The cover for the underhood fuse box is busted, making some of the diagram unreadable, but no obvious fuse to check from what I could read.

So, went inside to go through the mitchell website for the truck, to find the wiring diagram for it. Searched for OBD port, nothing, diagnostic port, found the master connection list, search it for "diagnostic" didn't find the port, start going through the list from the top, find data link connector, remember that's gms name for it, and click on that. See the connector diagram, and the pinout, power is on circuit 640. Search for 640, nothing. You have to manually look at every power diagram to find it. Mitchell of course tries to make it suck even more by disabling opening links in new tabs (figured out how to get around that in Firefox, working on a greasemonkey script to get rid of their stupid disabling of copying text), control click on a bunch of diagrams from the master power distribution list (don't recall how I got there), and look through them until I find the one with circuit 640, which indicates it goes to LTR/Fuse 53 for gas trucks.

So, replaced the fuse, which had blown, plugged in the Autel diagnostic tool I have, it powers up and reads some codes, fixed.

Ugh. The paper version (I have it for my '04), at least all the pages are clear and high-resolution, even if you have to flip through a lot of pages to find stuff. The default for looking at wiring diagrams for Mitchell is to present a small, low-res pic, that you have to click on a link to then get a larger, but still low-res pic. And if you don't kill Mitchell's disabling opening links in new tabs, it's even more annoying, remember name of diagram, click on link to see diagram, click on link to see larger version of diagram, examine diagram, go back to the list of diagrams find the name you remembered, look at the next diagram in the list, repeat. Lame as ****.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As well, Mitchell makes even the most basic stuff really suck on their website.

You can't save deep links into it, like say, to the page with connector views, or master connector list, because they include session-specific info in the url. So, when they timeout your login after 30 minutes or so, all the url's from that session just go to a session expired page, please login. But, because Mitchell sucks, they don't have, say, a login button, or even a link to a login button. You have to manually go to mitchell's home url, then click the login button, and then find what you want all over again.

Does anyone know if Alldatadiy.com is this stupid, or is it a better website?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also spent more than I really wanted to on this:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light

It was being auctioned on copart.ca, ignition wiring has been stripped, got it for a lot less than what the seller wanted... I'm going to use it as my parts truck for this build, as the front fender, hood, bump of it are knicked up, interior is nicer, lots of bits and pieces to migrate over. And depending on how the mdi setup I have works at getting the engine going, it may be an engine and/or transmission donor as well.

copart has to be owned by ticketmaster, they tack on fee's for everything, pay to have an account to bid, general "environment" fee, presumably to clean up their site when they leave (yeah sure), fee to stage the vehicle to pick it up, pay to place the winning bid over the internet, on and on, on top of the usual buyers premium... :-(

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did it for my '04 as well, primarily to get the 4wd system to transplant into the 3500, but I've wound up getting a bunch of other parts from it as well (tires, PS pump, hydroboost, steering wheel, various other interior bits and pieces).

That one was a better deal, but this one probably will still save me both time and money vs either buying parts new or waiting for trucks to show up in local junkyards to get parts off.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts