Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Dealership frustration

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Leveled17yeti 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a dealer in upstate ny that has a service tech that isn't a complete moron when diagnosing a issue with Def tank and engine derating

#6 · (Edited)
If you want to do basic repairs on your truck you should get a code reading computer from at least the $100 range so you can figure out what codes it's putting out. Helps a lot fixing sensor issues and things like that it would take forever or a miracle to find normally. It will pay for itself in a few easy repairs not having to take it to a shop. I bought one years ago and one of the first things I was able to fix is my honda had a bad cam position sensor. It was running like crap but it was a cheap and fairly easy fix. Never would have just found that without the code. I've fixed my silverado a few times too. Had some problems with the FSCM and was able to sort that out. Never would have been pointed there without the codes.

Even if you end up getting it fixed under warranty eventually that will run out. Even if you don't fix it yourself a diagnostic comp is a great thing to have even a cheap one to know what you need to get fixed. When you go look at a used car you can check the codes if you don't use it for anything else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.