Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a worthwhile coolant to put into these duramaxes? I've heard a lot about the dex cool problems but not sure if they fixed it yet. I believe that is what is in my 2012.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Stick with the dexcool,a lot of the people that have run into issue with it from not changing it,mixing it with green,or they bought a used truck with stopleak or blow headgaskets and they blame it on the dexcool.The initial fill from the factory should be changed out every 5 years or 100,000 miles.I can remember for sure but I believe it every 2 years or 50,000 after that.I have heard the "deathcool" story's on the older vehicles when dexcool was first introduced.I worked at a chevy dealer for 3 years and never seen a issue with it personally.Any coolant you run the rust inhibitors will eventually break down and start to cause havoc.The key is proper maintenance.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks WrenZ71, Question for you, I have recently had the "low coolant, add coolant'' light come on. I have no leaks that I can see. I'm hoping it's not head gaskets. 99k miles on a 2012.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
I'll tell you up front I am far from a Duramax expert,I avoid working on them at all cost.However I would first pull the coolant cap a check for signs of oil in the cooling system and signs of coolant in the oil.If You see any signs of the 2 mixing you can rent or buy a block tester kit to check further.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,304 Posts
Prestone has a newer Gm approved dex. It's orange and not red. Can be mixed with red if needed. It's a little more expensive.
That's what I'm running but I'm not in a duramax either.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Gozzie said:
Prestone has a newer Gm approved dex. It's orange and not red. Can be mixed with red if needed. It's a little more expensive.
That's what I'm running but I'm not in a duramax either.
The gm/Acdelco stuff is orange as well.The factory fill stuff is sometimes orange or sometimes has a pinkish tint to it.I though for awhile it turned pink when it broke down but I have seen brand new trucks with the pink.I dont know why.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
I have grown partial to the same coolant I put in my heavy commercial trucks. Final Charge ELC coolant. I have it in everything from my Cadillac CTS on up to the semi truck. It has a 8 yr, 1 million mile life cycle, though my comfort level will not let me go beyond 500,000 miles. Also great lubricity for water pumps. I would put nothing else in a diesel I own. I have used it for almost 2 million miles of engine operation.

Before switching any coolant, I do a complete flush and fill. I am loathe to mix coolants and especially brands.

it is cost effective. I usually can get it in 50/50 gallons for about $12-$13 at major truck stops. Wally World had it listed for $14 online. I inquired direct to the Peak technical folks about it and it can be used in any engine we might talk about here. I even have it in a John Deere 825i gator and a NH compact tractor.

http://images.peakauto.com/Final%20Char ... _hires.pdf
 

· Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
Sierraluva said:
.....have recently had the "low coolant, add coolant'' light come on. I have no leaks that I can see. I'm hoping it's not head gaskets. 99k miles on a 2012.
Cooling systems are not sealed. There will be losses thru the pressure cap and can be enough to trip the sensor if not topped up every couple of years. This especially happens when cold weather arrives.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
GR2017 said:
Sierraluva said:
.....have recently had the "low coolant, add coolant'' light come on. I have no leaks that I can see. I'm hoping it's not head gaskets. 99k miles on a 2012.
Cooling systems are not sealed. There will be losses thru the pressure cap and can be enough to trip the sensor if not topped up every couple of years. This especially happens when cold weather arrives.
I agree - if your lucky / just low and not leaking
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top