Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I’m in the process of looking at trading in my 2016 1500 5.3 for a 2022 1500 lt LTD 5.3. I have read all about the lifter problems which are making me second guess but want to make sure I’m understanding. I’ve seen a lot of articles were AFM / DFM was supposedly discontinued by GM due to the chip shortage but it’s showing up on the window sticker of the 2022. That seems to indicate it’s still active?
I understand even if it is inactive it is the same parts. Any insight would be great. I am a gm guy and don’t want to look elsewhere if I don’t have to. Just want to see if this is worth it as I don’t want to get into a mess.
Font Material property Parallel Number Document

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
The AFM/DFM lifters and associated parts are still in the engine. The only reason it's isn't active in some trucks is because GM had trouble getting the proper chips for the ECM to run the system. The lifters are still prone to failure even if AFM/DFM is not active.

I would assume if the window sticker says it has DFM, it is active. The trucks where DFM is not active have some other statement, I believe.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,922 Posts
Based off that window sticker, it has DFM. But even the ones that have the DFM not active, still have the garbage pile lifters that are failure prone. They just don't have the vlom to control the lifters.

Think of it as a factory installed range module. Because that's essentially all it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts