Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess my first question is do I have an Ecotec engine?

2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ 20" wheels 5.3 3.42 re tow package

Second I tow a 8500 pound travel trailer and want some thoughts on tuners. I am looking at the diablo intune i2 for one but open to others, I did a review on the superchips model that Diablo shows as their refurb units on ebay and got mixed reviews with most saying no difference.

I am very happy with how my truck preforms but think I could use a bit more power when towing, I get about 9 mpg average, I can get it into 8th gear but at times I need to goose it to about 62mph and let off to get it to settle into 8th gear. (Cruise set to 59mph) which seems to be the sweet spot.

Now after all this babble My original question is are tuners mostly talk and hype?

Thanks

Keith

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I went to the link and am I seeing after buying the tuner I am expected to pay an extra 150 to get a tune for my truck? New to this always talked against screwing with the Computer if factory was working fine. Just trying to gain all info I can before going forward.

Thanks again!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Dodge Stomper said:
Guess my first question is do I have an Ecotec engine?

Now after all this babble My original question is are tuners mostly talk and hype?
The dyno for the i2 is legit...I've played with one and compared the tune file (as loaded) to the factory tune using HP Tuners as well.

Essentially, it's a small change in A/F Ratio, quicker tip in to Power Enrichment tables, more timing and lots of tweaking to the PCM (Trans Module).

Not sure if the 8-speed is tuneable, Diablew would know.

I think you'll be happy, but for towing, I'd definitely invest in a Custom Tune. With the canned 93 Tune on the i2, I've heard knock retard or even audible knock is pretty common. The 93 tune adds LOTS of timing to the High Octane table.

You'd want to load up your trailer, do some logs going up hills, etc. One thing you can probably optimize is the tendency for the factory trans settings to dumb you in a high gear and then have to shift down constantly under load.

Ping Lew, he'll hook you up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.