Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1798 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured there were so many different threads started with those of us that have the inTune and/or a custom tune from Lew, I figured it might be nice to have a thread where we could post up our experiences and share info with each other all in one place! I also thought it would be a great place for Lew (06MonteSS) to be able to chime in once in a while with some news or answer questions we all might have.

I figure if we share info such as year/engine/trans and what tune you are using, as well as mods, that might be a great start and we'll see how it goes!

I started with the inTune on my 2009 Sierra with 5.3/4 speed. I had a MBRP dual cat back system, and K&N CAI on it. The truck had a 2" level and I was running 285/70/17 Duratracs. Before the tune, I was sitting at around 12.9 MPG. I installed the 87 octane tune/DOD off/Firm shifts. After that, I went to about 15.5 MPG. It was actually still climbing when I traded it in on my 2013. **NOTE** I am an old guy, and I drive like an old guy most of the time :lol:

I then bought a 2013 Silverado LT with 5.3/6 speed and put another MBRP dual cat-back system on, K&N CAI, 2" level and the 285/70/17 Duratracs on again. I started with a canned tune of 87 octane/DOD off/Firm shifts and ran that for a while. I then decided I would give one of Lew's custom tunes a try as I had heard great things about them!

After putting on the required 150 miles on my canned tune, I sent Lew in my data log. Within 24 hours, Lew had sent me my custom tune. I installed it and did the verification check with Lew. All was good. Time to put some miles on the custom tune! :D

First impressions...... Somehow the tune managed to incorporate around 100lbs of lead into my right foot! :shock: I could not keep out of it! The feel was great. The shifts were what I describe as smooth but decisive. The power was now so even across all rpm ranges. Lots of get-up-and-go when passing etc.

I have now put around 200 miles on the custom tune, and I am due to send Lew back another data log. The only thing so far that I would like to change, is the 1-2 shift. For some reason, it wants to shift way too quickly from 1-2. I am going to ask Lew if he can make 1st gear "hang" just a little. Again, I am no speed demon, I'm old! I just don't like the way that gear changes so quickly.

I will update with some new MPG readings as the tune settles in a little bit, but so far it is awesome, and I am already up to around 15 MPG.

Let's hear your experiences with the inTune/custom tune! :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Great detailed write up and I'm sure Lew will be geting even more business through your information along with other members as they report in also..:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I also have a custom tune via inTune and love the increased power and driveability but echo your sentiments on the early 1-2 shift. I don't think you were implying you blame the early shift on the tune but I felt like it was worse on my truck before the tune whereas now I just feel like I would say that's an area that could stand some improvement if I was being picky. Although, I'm not entirely sure it's something that could be addressed via tune?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^Yes you're correct, I'm definitely not blaming the tune for the early shift. I hope that's not how it came across. :eek:

Will definitely check in with Lew though to see if it's something he can help out with.

If you can, maybe post your veh/mods and mpg!

Cheers

·
Registered
100 Posts
2013 Sierra 5.3/6 speed
DiabLew tune based on 87 octane tune - DOD deleted
GMPP/Borla Sport muffler
Airaid MIT

Currently averaging 17.0 mpg

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Sounds very similar to my situation. Maybe if I can get rid of some of that lead in my right foot I can get those extra couple of MPG's.

Also, my tune is only JUST broken in and might get a little tweaking

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those Duratracs look heavy so if you can get back close to that kinda mpg by driving easier that would be impressive!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@helios - yes the Duratracs are quite heavy. I'll just have to drive extra grandpa-like to see if I can get there! :grin:

@Lew - thanks for responding! I hope this thread will make it easier for you to chime in (although you do an awesome job already) I'll get that log to you soon. Sounds like you can help helios too! :grin:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took a little highway drive this evening, about 150km (100 mi ) or so.

Feels a lot more "broken in" now. Up to about 16mpg now too! :grin:

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, did my second log for Lew today, just sent it in! This is very cool, the truck just feels so much better than stock, I can't help but think it MUST be better for the engine and trans to be so smooth as compared to the stock settings?

Hopefully others chime in with their experiences and mileage gains, as well as stories how they like the tunes!

Cheers!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lew is the Man, purchased a CAI from him and a Intune. I have added a Borla Muffler and it sounds amazing with the CAI. He is so easy to work with and to get the tunes. I had him do a 87 octane tune first but I have changed my mind and started putting just 91 through the beast so he changed to tune for me. WOT Log tonight and I am so excited.

BUY from Lew, he know his stuff.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Lew is definitely the man.

Did my second log today, got my 1-2 shift stretched out a bit like I wanted.

Takes a bit of time, but at the end of the day, to be able to have your tune customized exactly the way you want it's worth the effort. Lew will dial it in just how you want it.

I'm supposed to get a few WOT runs in and log one for him next..... :shock: haven't really done that in a while being an old guy and all! He he he

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Officially checking in to the official (?) InTune thread. Have the 87 octane tune installed and running 89 octane. Truck is much more enjoyable to drive (and no AFM). :D

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do the same as you.... run 89 octane for the 87 tune. I have a custom tune now but still run 89.

The truck is so much better now, it's kind of hard to describe! :grin:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Great idea on this thread Waterboy.
I have the 5.3. Turbo muffler, AirRaid MIT, 2.5" level with stock tires and running canned tunes for now. I'm unable to add accurate MPG gains as i can't keep off that skinny pedal!:twisted: I do plan on a LewTune here shortly.
Couple questions related to this thread:
-can a custom tune include different settings when in "tow mode"?
-pretty sure different tunes would be available and beneficial for summer/winter right?
-would each tune mentioned above be included with the custom tune price or would each tune be considered a custom tune...$135/ea? Make sense? Lol
Thanks, Josh

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 1798 Posts