Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're having an issue with the truck. A few weeks ago, the tire pressure light turned on and the DIC said the front left tire was low. So I checked it and it was at 35 psi. Checked the tire pressure sticker on the door which recommended 45 psi on all 4 tires. Sounded a bit high to me, but alright. Filled the tire up the 45 PSI while it was cold out as recommended, started up the truck and the light went off.

Cut to this past holiday. Last week, 2 days before Thanksgiving, the light came on again, this time saying the front right tire was low. It checked out at 34 psi. Ok. Filled that one up to 45 psi, again as recommended. The light and message is still on. I'm wondering if we have to do the tire relearn positions thing to get it to turn off. Anyone got a clue here? I'm not worried about it since all the tire pressures are correct, but the light is a bit annoying when I know nothing's wrong.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We only checked that front left tire the first time. The second time, we checked all 4.

We have the owner's manual somewhere. Unfortunately we took it out of the truck for reading and it's been misplaced somewhere.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
The door jamb sticker trumps all. Follow what the jamb sticker says. If all tires are filled to 45 psi. like the sticker says and DIC light still shines, it may be time for new TPMS sensors. These sensors have a lifespan average of 5 to 7 years, although folks regularly use them past their due date and can have phantom issues like this. Also your not to wait to fill a tire when it is cold "outside". You fill it when the tire itself has sat and has time to cool to ambient temps. whatever they may be. As seasons change some folks can have a large outdoor ambient temp swing and when it is 70 degrees and it drops to 35 degrees that same pressure in the tire drops. It will no longer be 45 psi and likely will need air. The opposite happens when it warms. You may need to remove some air. Tire position doesn't matter either for the DIC. It may not show the correct position, but it still shows the temp. the sensor is sensing in each tire. You can have them programmed to have psi. correct for position, but that is not the issue here. Personally I rotate tires the same way every time and remember where things are and know which tire is which. Every 5 rotations they are back to original position and this takes 50k miles to do. I simply remember where things are. You could jot it down I suppose and keep in glove box.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
No need to get raped at the dealership. Any reputable tire shop can trouble shoot it and reprogram it. Most charge $10 labor a sensor to replace them if they are bad
^^^what he said

· Registered
189 Posts
Rambodog said:
The door jamb sticker trumps all. Follow what the jamb sticker says. If all tires are filled to 45 psi. like the sticker says and DIC light still shines, it may be time for new TPMS sensors. These sensors have a lifespan average of 5 to 7 years, although folks regularly use them past their due date and can have phantom issues like this. Also your not to wait to fill a tire when it is cold "outside". You fill it when the tire itself has sat and has time to cool to ambient temps. whatever they may be. As seasons change some folks can have a large outdoor ambient temp swing and when it is 70 degrees and it drops to 35 degrees that same pressure in the tire drops. It will no longer be 45 psi and likely will need air. The opposite happens when it warms. You may need to remove some air. Tire position doesn't matter either for the DIC. It may not show the correct position, *but it still shows the temp. the sensor is sensing in each tire. You can have them programmed to have psi. correct for position, but that is not the issue here. **Personally I rotate tires the same way every time and remember where things are and know which tire is which. Every 5 rotations they are back to original position and this takes 50k miles to do. I simply remember where things are. You could jot it down I suppose and keep in glove box.
A couple things I noticed while reading the above post...

*The TPMS does not monitor tire temperature, it monitors air pressure.

**Also, it really isn't a big job to learn the tire positions on the vehicle after a rotate. The procedure is in the owners manual or can be found in YouTube. Less than a 2 minute procedure doing it yourself in the driveway.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
There is a cut off year for the relearn procedure. Not sure is you can do it with all 2011s. But you would need the tool if you can't. Which is $80. No it doesn't monitor temp. But there is a +/- range that it takes into account for temp changes and air pressure fluctuation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.