Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 silverado v6 4.3L 2wd and i got all my plugs changed. Found out the #5 cable was bad and broke off so we rigged it up to get me home. Go to start the truck the next day and nothing. Long story short, we put a new crankshaft position sensor in, put in a new coil pack, also put a new distributor cap and rotor. Thinking this was the issue, we go to start it and nothing. No spark at all. All the cables are in order and all the sensors are in position and plugged in but still nothing. Could it possibly be my ECM? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

· Registered
96 Posts
If you can, see if you can pull your codes. Something this big usually has a simple fix and the OBDII code will point you right to it.

If you're getting NO spark at all, I'd say the ECU is not firing the engine because something is out of time (safety feature). Could be the crankshaft position sensor or possibly cap/rotor. I'd take a look and re-confirm timing.

Especially because it was just a single coil pack / cable and now suddenly NOTHING, I'm thinking it's something along these lines.

Keep us updated and good luck!

~Epyon

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses. All we did was put new plugs in. One plug wire was broke so we crimped it to make it work and get me home, the next morning it didnt start. Ive put a new crank sensor in, new coil pack, new distributor cap and rotor in and still no spark. I have a guy coming to check out the ECM later today. Will keep everyone updated. Once again thank you for the input

-Vince

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: couldn't get a reader to read the truck. When I got it last year I wanted to check the codes and the guy couldn't get the reader to read it so I'm screwed there. Just bought an Ignition Control Sensor thinking that would do the trick but still nothing. I'm lost on what it could possibly be.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I understand that you tried to read the codes last year when you got the truck and it failed, but are you saying that you tried again, just recently? If not, I would have someone else try to read it.

· Registered
5,167 Posts
Check your fuses please for your cigaretter lighter power outlet. Most obd2 ports share power with power port. If fuse is blown you will not be able to get any readings. Worth a shot. Also you said crimped wire that broke to get home. I did not see you say you replaced the broken wire after temp repair.

· Registered
5,167 Posts
The majority of the time when people think it is a computer It Is Not! Retrace your steps. Answer a few more questions please you did not mention if you used any anti seize on the plug threads? If you did by chance did you use the silver instead of copper? Have been told before at a diag class that the silver can prohibit proper grounding. My gut says you have a very simple issue that is being over complicated for you. I wish you luck.

· Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:: Did a light test and we're finding that the connector that plugs into the coil pack isn't getting power so we think we may have to get another connector and redo the wiring since the coil pack isn't getting the power

· Banned
2,175 Posts
It sounds like either the ignition control module or the rotor. But I believe you said they were replaced. They wouldn't be the first new parts not work. The way that rotor is made I would test it for continuity before install. When you checked the fuses did you check the ign relay? Also look for signs of squirrels etc. eating your wiring. Rodents love getting in there and chewing up wiring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.