Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find anything online which addresses whether GM was able to fix their diesel engine block heater issue from 2019.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes.

My 2018 needed to be done.

It was a 2 -stage recall. (if the truck was already in customer hands)

First visit they cut off the cord so it couldn't be used. Of course many owners didn't get this gone -- especially of they didn't use the block heater.
(They start right up fine even to at least 0*F without the block heater)

Second recall was done by region (naturally, colder areas first), as heaters became available, and the entire unit got replaced (requiring partial draining of coolant).
As the cooling system is difficult to refill completely, many needed to later add a little coolant after the air burped out.

You can check the vin and determine if the truck still has the recall outstanding, (at any dealer, or at the GM website, or with the phone app, there may be other ways)

I happened to be having a visit with a service manager I get along with when the recall notice came through.
During discussion I learned that they cannot sell a truck with an outstanding recall, but there is nothing that requires a customer to have one completed.

Selling one (at least a new one) with an uncompleted recall results in penalties to the dealer

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Farmguy said:
Yes.

Second recall was done by region (naturally, colder areas first), as heaters became available, and the entire unit got replaced (requiring partial draining of coolant).
Thanks--this means GM came up with a fix which they hadn't from the latest articles I'd seen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts