Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at changing out diff fluid as I believe I've had some form of a leak (pic below)

I've also kept eye on cover lately and it looks like the material is peeling away.

After USING THE SEARCH option, I've noticed really how easy it is to change the fluid...my desire to do it myself went UP when the dealer told me to change the fluid it would be $130.... EACH for the Front...and $130 for the rear.

Then told me the cover itself would be another $140-170.

I've read enough where people said it should be 80-120 to do both (no cover included)
so i thought, I`ll do it myself and spend the money saved on a good quality cover.

I dont drag race the truck, barely off road involved.

OEM good to stay with? or does anyone recommend a good quality aftermarket. I'm not trying to get all fancy with this job but dont want to go cheap here either.

Attachments

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
You have a few options here obviously

If you tow a lot you might benefit from a Mag Hytec cover, those have magnetic plugs and cooling fins, those are about double the capacity as with a standard cover.
You could just have the current cover re-coated and save a bit also. The OEM cover isn't going to hinder anything really, it does the job.

Its easy to do yourself so I don't see why you'd need to have a shop do it.

· Registered
502 Posts
If you don't off road, or tow, or drive for long periods of time excessively I would just replace the OEM one.. IMO

I'll probably upgrade mine in the next little bit, but that's just because i go offroading quite a bit

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Maybe a GM orange color for a little flair. Or just go black. I am not sure just how hot a rear end can get, but you might want to consider a heat resistant paint as well. One rated for 500 degrees should be fine.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
4,803 Posts
Wire wheel and recoat. Thats not bad.
You need a new seal for sure though, maybe a new plug to be on the safe side

· Registered
432 Posts
When I did it, it was $11.49/quart at O'Reilly's, and the rear gasket was like $5 (paper). You'll need a gasket scraper for the rear, and a fluid pump is very handy ($8 or so, I've used it on both diffs and the TC now).

ETA: I used the house brand synthetic 75W-90 in both axles, and it took over 4 quarts. Your amount will probably be different, but all in all it was like $75 to do it all.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.