Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have seen a lot of posts on the G80 locker code and what not... unfortunately my truck did not come with the G80 code (used).
I was wondering if it is possible to buy a locker and have it installed?

Truck info if it helps:
2011 Silverado
2wd
WT
4.3L V6

Any help would be great.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
It is possible, however it would be pretty expensive. The cheaper option would be to go to a junk yard and find one with the G80 option with the same ratio as your truck and put it in yours. Lockers are nice, but not really necessary. Unless you have a real need for one on a routine basis, it's probably not worth spending the money to upgrade to one.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I've had ARB air lockers in my rock crawlers and they're pretty stout. Great customer support and readily available.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Have you heard about Powertrax No-Slip? It's a lunchbox locker and all you need to do is pull the open carrier out and drop in the locker. The price is about $500 and can be done within 2 hours. No need to pull the ring and pinion so anyone can install one. I plan to install one after the holidays in my truck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
556 Posts
I ran Powertrax No-Slip in my rear Dana44 and a Powertrax Lock-Rite in my front Dana30 with 4.88 gears in a 2000 Wrangler. The No-Slip would work good for you in your application. I only broke each of them once. (at different times) but I was feeding a lot of torque through them with the 4.88s and 4:1 Low.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have the Powertrax no-slip in my S10, no complaints. Wish my Silverado had a locker of some sort as well, but unlike you OP, I don't have the money to spend on one.

Before we can really say what locker is best (application based), tell us why you want/need a locker and how it will be used.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually, let's get it right guys and ask him the right questions! The right question we should be asking is how can price not be an issue? Haha! :lol:

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
slw206 said:
I honestly wish i did not have a locker. Or atleast not an automatic one. I do believe when i regear i will look into a manual locker for front and rear.
How come? I use mine at work allllllllll the time, and it's never let me down.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I originally bought my truck to have a more utility oriented vehicle ( atv's and sleds suck behind an old Volvo)
now I am able to get out more with my buddy's and do a little light off roading.
The money thing well... I was planning on new rims and tires but this seems like a good idea also so just looking to see whats out there.
Even thought money isn't a problem its not like I wouldn't go the less expensive route... leaves room for other mods :D

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you bud! From what you are saying, I think that Powertrax would be a good fit. That's my $0.02

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I just want to give a heads up that lockers cause the rear to fishtail easier in snow and slick conditions. As long as you know this up front and drive with that in mind, it's not bad, but it is something to consider. I drove my s10 with a locked rear for a few years in the snow without any issues, and it would go through deeper snow with it than without. But you give it gas on the roads with a steeper crest, and it would slide. It was fun to me, but can be dangerous if you aren't use to it or expecting it.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
For overall street use in a small V8 or V6 application the OEM G80 in the 10 bolt is hard to beat, it won't lock up at speeds over 25 MPH and isn't locked up at slower speeds unless it sees a difference of 100 rpm in wheel speed from left to right so under normal driving it acts just like a open diff like you have now. My advice is to buy a whole rear end from a low mileage wreck with the same gear ratio and just swap the whole thing in.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Yes you can buy it new but it might be more cost effective to buy a whole rear end when you figure the cost of the unit and setup charges. Call your dealer for a price quote for parts and labor and then shop the local wrecking yard for a complete rear end. You can swap out the rear end in a afternoon in your driveway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.