Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
We do, but it only switches to a lower charge rate when there isn't a load on the system. so if his lights AC or any other accessory are on the alternator shouldn't be in that setting.

· Registered
7,114 Posts
Totally normal to see headlight dimming in 06 and up trucks equipped with the fuel saving charging system, it is slow to react to extra demands like brake lights and power window usage. The alternator is controlled by a module and keeps drag on engine to a minimum in order to increase MPG. I have experienced the same thing on my 06 09 12 14 and 16 trucks from day one on each truck.

· Registered
7,114 Posts
012chevy012 said:
Hello silverado owners, here's another problem i just noticed, maybe somebody else has noticed too.
When I step on the brakes the headlights flicker a little when idling, just noticed the other night.
flicker is that a constant flicker or just once as the brake lights come?

· Registered
2,304 Posts
I think if you watch the volt meter at the same time you can tell which mode it's in when it happens. It may have to do with radio and heater on and lights (heavier load) vs light load and then what stage the battery is in at that time . Charged or charging. Study it long enough and I bet you can tell when it's going to happen. I think everyone is right here. Battery condition makes difference.

· Registered
545 Posts
wildchevy said:
Totally normal to see headlight dimming in 06 and up trucks equipped with the fuel saving charging system, it is slow to react to extra demands like brake lights and power window usage. The alternator is controlled by a module and keeps drag on engine to a minimum in order to increase MPG. I have experienced the same thing on my 06 09 12 14 and 16 trucks from day one on each truck.
Exactly....

I had the same pattern on my 13 and my previous Mazda 3...

You can't put a 20+amp load on a electrical system and don't see a little drop in voltage.
Some people don't notice it, but you can measure it with a good mulitmeter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.