Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I've been wanting to upgrade my lights on my Sierra. Especially after driving the wife's new Mazda CX-5. It is the first time I've driven a car with LEDs. Love the pure white light output. My only question is how do DRLs affect the LED bulbs? The Mazda has a separate DRL strip from the actual headlight. The Sierra just uses the low beam bulb at a reduced level, correct? At least that is what I thought it did. I really want to keep the factory housing, and not do any type of retro fitting or modding...plug and play if at all possible. And something that won't break the bank. I hear the OPT7s are pretty good p+p bulbs in the factory housings. Yea or nay? Thanks for any recco's.

--John

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,521 Posts
Nay. You'll never get good output from a plug and play kit. Some are decent and other are junk. But none of them come close to a projector that's made for led or hid.

As far as the day time running lights, you may or may not have issues with them. Some kits will work and others won't. I believe there is a harness made to help fix the drl issue. But most just disable them.

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
Xenon depot makes a harness to eliminate drl issues with the low beam on their led and hid kits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Xenon depot makes a harness to eliminate drl issues with the low beam on their led and hid kits
Would you recommend the LED or the HID kit?

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
I only every used their hid kit. So I can't say. But others on here like their new leds kits

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm thinking of either Boltzen canbus 35w HID kit from OPT7 ($85) or the H11 Morimoto Elite 35w HID kit from The Retrofit Source ($165). I hear a lot about the Morimotos, but are they really worth twice as much?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
big_dawg74 said:
I really want to keep the factory housing, and not do any type of retro fitting or modding...plug and play if at all possible. And something that won't break the bank. I hear the OPT7s are pretty good p+p bulbs in the factory housings. Yea or nay? Thanks for any recco's.
Yay, the light output is fantastic. While projectors will always provide better performance over factory reflector headlight housings using LEDs/HIDs, the upgrade to the factory performance is massive with the Opt7 LED bulbs. Their kit is made to handle DRLs seamlessly with the built in ECM/Capacitor/etc. I have, personally, never had a single issue with my DRLs using their bulbs. Give them a try.. you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
Hids or leds? I know there are some marginal reviews about opt7 hids similar to ddm

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'd like to put LED's in my headlights but don't want the headaches that seem to go with it. They're great in my back up lights!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CritterGlitter, I sent an email to Opt7 and they recommended the Boltzen canbus HID kit, not LEDs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I decided to go with the Opt7 HID kit. They have 10% off everything code today, plus free shipping and no sales tax. They got really good reviews, plus for $65 shipped to my door, I figure it was worth a shot. We shall see.

·
Registered
16,583 Posts
Got a link?

·
Registered
16,583 Posts
Which model/kit did you get?

·
Registered
16,583 Posts
So, are these designed to be used in stock reflector housings or do you need projector housings or something else?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I sent them a message via their website, I told them that I wanted to upgrade without modifying the factory housings. Something plug+play, or very close to it. They recommended this kit. I also added the relay/anti-flicker harness.

·
Registered
22,404 Posts
esox07 said:
So, are these designed to be used in stock reflector housings or do you need projector housings or something else?
No hids are designed to work in a stock reflector housing the bulb doesn't care what housing it's put in. It's the design of the reflector bowl that changes the light output.

·
Registered
16,583 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
No hids are designed to work in a stock reflector housing
That is what I thought. I guess it will be interesting for Big Dawg to do a review once he gets them installed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts