Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my new style tow mirrors wired up. Using a wire tap I connected into the Dome light wire in the BCM. My problem is that the lights on the mirrors will not turn off, even though the dome light has turned off. How can i fix this? If I push the dome override button they turn on and off.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I wonder if using that BCM wire as a signal wire and using a Relay to provide power might work. It could be the amount of power draw or something causing the issue. But, I agree, it is strange. I have foot well lights connected to the dome wire right out of the BCM (I think a gray one) and it works perfectly along with my dome lights.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
ccare35 said:
I've got my new style tow mirrors wired up. Using a wire tap I connected into the Dome light wire in the BCM. My problem is that the lights on the mirrors will not turn off, even though the dome light has turned off. How can i fix this? If I push the dome override button they turn on and off.
Would help if you posted which wire you tapped into at the BCM, but I suspect it was an orange wire? The BCM triggers the dome lamp relay to ground the lights to turn them on, it does not switch the power side. The orange dome light wire is hot all the time unless the dome override button is in.

To make the lights act exactly like the dome lights, you could tap into the underdash courtesy bulbs with power and ground. If the lights in the mirrors don't have their own dedicated ground, you will have to use a relay to switch them.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
esox07 said:
I wonder if using that BCM wire as a signal wire and using a Relay to provide power might work. It could be the amount of power draw or something causing the issue. But, I agree, it is strange. I have foot well lights connected to the dome wire right out of the BCM (I think a gray one) and it works perfectly along with my dome lights.
Yours is a 2013, his is a 2001, very different wiring. Unless he's working on a different year from his signature and didn't tell us.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Yep, good catch GMT604. I didn't even look...duh.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I tapped into a different wire that also controlled the dome light. But now the problem is that the dome light and the mirror lights won't turn off! Even if I push the dome override. This has me laughing

· Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same position as you...connected the white mirror backup lights to the purple wire with hopes of them turning off and on with the dome lights (so they act as courtesy lights) but they wont turn off unless the dome override switch is pushed. Is it even possible to connect into the + dome wire? Or will it not work since the relay switches the grounds only? I have a 2000 Silverado

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.