Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selling one driver side door lock actuator from my 2009 Sierra. I replaced the actuator motor with one from Gruven (link below) and it worked great, but when tapping the rivet to put the bracket back on, the tap broke (I got the broken tap out). I was getting low on daylight at that point and I needed my truck the next morning, so I decided to just by an OEM since they had it in stock. Anyway, this one works great now, just needs rest of the hole tapped and you're good to go. Both holes are actually tapped now and it would probably work fine, but I would thread both a little deeper if I were going to use it. $30 shipped from 35749. I'll include several stainless screws and washers you will need to put the bracket back.

http://www.gruvenparts.com/2007-2014-gm-door-lock-actuator-repair/

· Registered
69 Posts
So...you are not positive it will hook into the spot correctly because you broke the rivet off and had to retap a bigger hole of an unlisted size AND you think it will probably fit and work just fine.....

OR

it could knock back and forth because you, in your attempt to fix it, messed it up and now don't want to use it due to a loose fit.

I'm not trying to knock anything, but your part from this company that only has 1 employee seems a bit sketchy. The OEM actuator is $164 and the one form Gruven is $34.99 (new). Something ain't right.

The company info on BBB:

https://www.bbb.org/atlanta/busines...plies-new/gruven-parts-in-atlanta-ga-27596028

They've only been in business since 2015. If you had to drill the part to make it work, it probably isn't a good thing.

And from their "About Us" page:

Gruvenparts.com is located in Atlanta, GA and specializes in fabricating bulletproof hardware for your vehicle. We do not sell off the shelf parts. Instead, we focus on high quality custom parts that are intended for serious track abuse. In fact, the company was founded for one simple reason: We get pissed off when parts break.

Over the years of driving and racing, we've learned nothing is more upsetting than getting to a track event and having to retire early due to a poorly designed part failure.
He must have a mouse in his pocket when he's racing.

· Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't sound like you've ever changed one of these motors before, so I'll elaborate. To get to the motor, you must drill the rivets and remove the bracket. Then you take the actuator apart, remove the old motor, and plug in the new one. After that, you reassemble the actuator and plug it back in the truck and test it (which I did and it snapped the lock open and shut better than the new one). If that checks out, then you must reattach the bracket by drilling and tapping the rivets that remain in the actuator (which I did). I had a starter tap, which will not tap the holes all the way to the bottom. First hole was tapped as far as possible, then the second hole broke the tap after about 1/2 inch thread depth. I would recommend buying a bottom tap and threading the holes all the way to the bottom before reattaching the bracket, but it would likely hold as-is.

Edit: You only buy the electric motor that powers the actuator, not the whole actuator itself, hence the $34 price tag.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.