Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3 auto
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Silverado with the basic seats that have no electronics and few adjustments and unfortunately they hurt my back but I have a parts Tahoe that has electric seats with trashed upholstery so I was thinking about trying to swap the upholstery and foam in my truck onto the frame of the seat from the Tahoe to get power seats to make my truck more comfortable. I'll check the wreaking yard first because they charge almost nothing for seats but I most likely won't find the correct color as my truck has dark interior and most I see are light grey.
Anyway is that possible without real upholstery skills or would it be too much hassle?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry. I tried the search feature before posting this but wasn't able to get it to spit out any relevant results for that I typed until I tried a different search after I posted this but I thought was unrelated but then I found this thread.

It answers all my questions so feel free to delete this post.

· Registered
2013 Silverado 2500 4x4
4,179 Posts
Swapping foam and covers isn’t too tough, so long as it Is like for like . Usually just zippers and clips, maybe a few screws. An excellent opportunity to put in heated seats as well.

· Mmbr Extraordinaire SS-Guru How-To-Author TOTM
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 LC9 211k mi
17,451 Posts
That thread is of a newer model than yours, but gives you some ideas. I suspect the tricky part will be connecting the new seat wiring. Depends on if you get lucky and the harness is already there or if you have to sort that out yourself or try and transfer what you can from the donor Tahoe. With it being a 2000, at least you will have more of a chance of adding the wires and not having to program stuff to have the BCM recognize new functions.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's a little clip inside the seat that holds the pin of the armrest. Since I'm throwing that seat cover away I chose to cut a hole to access it. I've got to take this seat to the welder unless I do it myself with silver braze the part that the armrest attaches to cuz it's loose.

Safety glove Finger Wood Gas Tool
Office equipment Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Machine
to resecure

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is the harness that I need parts of to supply power to the new seats.
This project started as I was only going to swap the frame for the driver seat cuz my tool bag rides in the passenger seat 99% of the time and the rest of the time I'm not too worried about the person in the passenger seat but once I realized the harness for the driver's seat also connects to the passenger seat I thought to myself oh what the heck I need to remove the center console since it's trash anyway so that requires taking out the passenger seat so I'll just go ahead and get it all swapped.
Tire Wheel Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it only took me a moment's thought to realize that I didn't want to pay somebody else to do any part of this project since it's supposed to be a free project. So I hit it with some 45% silver braze which has excellent strength and handles vibration very well. It looks like crap especially cuz just after it cooled enough to be sturdy I slipped the armrest and I'm throwing away on and some of the foam melted to it.
Wood Automotive tire Fish Snout Seafood

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two power seats without arm rests assembled with charcoal upholstery and ready to get installed in the morning before I go to work. (Sorta need seats to go to work. 😁 )
I still need to find black plates for around the controls but it's a start.
Purple Comfort Chair Gas Auto part
Hood Sleeve Bag Luggage and bags Grey

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't recommend this swap for anyone who doesn't know how to solder and/or isn't highly proficient with electrical.
I ended up having to steal a jumper wire off the back of the driver's side cab fuse block in the Tahoe and install it in the Silverado to get power to the seat and the seat belt wiring was totally different between the two so I built a custom harness to blend the two styles together.
I first assembled the harness as it has been in the Tahoe before realizing the grounds were in totally different spots and the seatbelt wires went to a different harness on the truck.
Wood Grey Flooring Audio equipment Road surface
Asphalt Road surface Art Circle Concrete
Gesture Grey Finger Art Road surface
Azure Asphalt Grey Road surface Art

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back to work in comfort! I will miss the armrests but I am saving the armrest seat back frames and someday I hope to buy all new foam and seat covers and then I will reinstall the armrest seat backs.
I love how Chevy's are built like Legos so I can reassemble them however I like!
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Car Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 15 of 15 Posts