Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title suggests, I drove my truck into the ocean this weekend during a shark fishing tournament on Padre Island National Seashore. Apparently I fired a sensor or two while in the water and I'm wondering if y'all can help me locate the sensors? I had the code read at Autozone and this is what they say...

It says something about a rich fuel mixture but I'm pretty sure that the sensors are just fried and need to be replaced because the check engine light didn't come on until after I drove the truck into the water.

And you're probably wondering why I drove the truck into the water? I didn't crash it into the sea or anything, sorry to disappoint. I was 40 miles down the beach and had to head north but the tide washed the road away so the only option was thru the surf!

Here's my baby on the beach...

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Those are codes for oxygen sensors. Your truck most likely has 4 of them, 2 in front of the cats and 2 after the cats. They are screwed into the exhaust pipe. The auto parts stores scanner usually won't pinpoint which sensor though. It does say sensor two which is the rear one I believe. They are pretty easy to change out, just have to find out which one for sure so you aren't throwing money at it and chasing codes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, cool. I just watched some vids on youtube, looks pretty easy to do. Hopefully they aren't too expensive? And I'll need to get that sensor socket too. The bank 2 sensors are the ones after the cat converter?

In the world of bad ass shark racks, mine is pretty average. If you live on the TX coast you've prolly seen a bunch before? That wall with the rod holders on it folds down while I'm driving so it looks pretty normal. I love my truck and rack!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
That socket is hit or miss, sometimes there is room to use it and sometimes there isn't. And to clarify there is bank 1 and bank 2 (left and right). The printout on the left looks like it says 'bank 1 sensor 2' so that would be drivers side, rear sensor.
DISCLAIMER: I AM NO MECHANIC, NOR DO I CLAIM TO BE. Any sh!t you break or mess up I am not responsible.

·
Registered
203 Posts
And I thought I had plenty of rod holders :(
That is one hell of a set up you got there!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Onlyina_Chevy said:
Pics or it didn't happen. It's a forum rule.
LOL, I'll get some next time. There wouldn't have been a way to get pics really, but I'll put the gopro on the windshield next time. There was prolly a 10 mile stretch where the high road on the beach was covered in Sargassum and trash and the low road was partially underwater in the surf because the tide was up. I opted to take the smooth road that was mostly underwater rather than the high dry road because it was so slow and rough. Wasn't sure if I was gonna make it out because I only brought 10 extra gallons of fuel with me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not really. More freshwater bayous in the back of cane fields or my friends deer leases. Also they help keep the height of the boat down when I'm towing, makes it easier to go through drive-thrus instead of having them in the boat. Thanks though, I love it! It's Just right for what I need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.