Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! New to silverados and drum brakes in general, used to all wheel disc. I have an 08 1500 LT with rear drums and sometimes but not always at red lights I will stop and maybe 15 seconds after stopping it feels like the rear drums release causing the truck to lurch a bit. Is this normal or something I should look into? Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
If the truck is new to you, even if you've owned it awhile, you may want to have the drum brakes checked, cleaned and adjusted. Then go from there. Yes the 6 speed transmission may cause a slight lurch at times after a quick stop, but the brakes should hold. If the rear brakes are out of adjustment, the front brakes are working harder than they should have to, often causing excessive heat and a fading brake pedal. And may even cause the front rotors to warp slightly, causing a pulsation in the pedal. I'm not trying to scare you, only trying to educate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SilmarilS - I am pretty sure it is a 4 speed.

fattrucker - That was my next thing to think about, replacing the drums. I have no idea how many miles are on them or the last time they were actually replaced.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
When the rear wheels spin at a stop with any automatic-transmission and RWD (especially on slippered surfaces) this means your drum brakes are shot and/or just need a rebuild.

Your front brakes are holding you still and the small amount of power going to the rear is overcoming the weight of the vehicle pushing down trying to keep them still.

Until you have the rear drum BRAKES (not breaks) rebuild, just put the trans in neutral at a stop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CT2500HD - The wheel doesn't actually spin, it's more of a slight shudder as if I can feel the rear just releasing and the front disc holding me in place. I figured it was the brakes (yep, I was inna hurry and mis-typed my title) I just had no experience with drums before so thought I would ask. Probably time to service them. Yay!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Same net effect. I've seen this many times, your brakes need to be rebuilt. You have only need a thorough cleaning and greasing (brake grease only!), but it could be way-worn shoes and/or leaking wheel cylinder. Easy job without special tools- just 2 cans of brake cleaner and brake grease. Might as well replace the shoes and springs while you in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CT2500HD - That's about what I figured. Might as well replace the shoes while in there since I honestly can't say when it was last done. New experience for a new day right? haha!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Does your truck have the hill hold assist feature? Is the happening on any type of incline?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GBSierraSLE - Honestly I didn't know that was a feature. How exactly would I go about determining that? I can't be honest and say it always occurs on an incline. Plus I would assume there would be a degree that it would kick in vs a slight slope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Back when I had my 2008 Sierra, occasionally I would have similar issues however it felt like I had been rear ended after coming to a complete stop. IIRC, I had to have the drive shaft slip yoke lubed several times at the dealership while under warranty. I believe there was a TSB issued. Not sure if it's the same issue you are having but sounds similar.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Decadence75 said:
GBSierraSLE - Honestly I didn't know that was a feature. How exactly would I go about determining that? I can't be honest and say it always occurs on an incline. Plus I would assume there would be a degree that it would kick in vs a slight slope.
Hill assist was not an option in 2008. And if your rear brakes don't work, assist wouldn't work either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts