Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,516 Posts
I highly doubt they will stop making them. Way too much development into it to just stop making them after only 2 model years.

Parts across all manufacturers are nearly impossible to get right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I'll certainly vote to continue production. I'm just a bit leery, as the owner of a 2006 Jeep Rubicon--which means I'm the proud owner of two axles that were manufactured for exactly three years (2004-06) and use a proprietary air-driven differential locker that is no longer available. Not to mention a fair number of other goodies that Jeep made for only three years. Against that, this is a cross-platform engine and while the engineer who designed this thing insisted it was essential to use a rubber belt to fit inside the envelope, perhaps good old American ingenuity (and a different engineer!) might bring a long-term solution forward in future years. As it is, this strikes me not as good nor bad engineering, but veering into what I call malicious engineering--like my Tacoma's lower belt idler, which requires removing the oil filter mounting to replace the pulley! Irritating, because there's a lot to like about the design.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, if you are putting 150K on the truck in 2-3 years, presumably you are making some money with it,, and you can plan for the downtime and the maintenance cost. I do recall another diesel engine doing the same thing, but I can't remember which one did it, and other engines put things in odd spots to make it fit (my dad's Caddy put the starter under the intake).

It's just part of the cost of maintaining the vehicle.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Price was reduced a long time ago.

If mine was stolen/wrecked (or whatever) tonight, I'd do my best to find another 3.0L one asap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At 15k miles per year, which is more than most, you'd be looking at replacing it in 10 years, a more common 12k miles yearly has you out to 12.5 years. I've also seen a number of reports that it can be driven to failure without likelihood of engine damage and that some high mileage users plan to do just this.

The emissions and fuel delivery systems are where I'd worry and I have also been reading that GM really put quality components into the motor and emissions systems. That said, my own 3.0 diesel has less than 1k and 5 years of warranty left so I'm not inclined to worry too much. This 3.0 is a big deal for GM, get's great mileage and has a decent take rate, plus is being worked into it's massive selling big SUV's so I wouldn't worry too much about availability of parts.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts