Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a Duramax, but due to their cost it would have to be a higher mileage vehicle. What is the typical life expectancy of the Duramax. I know with the LSX engines you can easily get 200k+ with basic maintenance. Also, what kind of costs would you be looking at to rebuild one- parts only?

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Depending on maintenance, you can probably see something closer to 400K miles. I got my 04 Duramax last year with 204K on it, and it still runs like new. Even an oil test confirmed that internally, the engine is doing great. Sure, there are always lemons out there, but it's a safe bet that the Duramax will run forever.

If you're looking at a new engine, I believe you can put one in, DIY, for around $5K.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It always depends on how it was treated by the previous owner(s). Just had one last week with 200k km and the vanes in the turbocharger stuck. 5000$ repair! Be careful with high mileage vehicles, there's a lot of beat up sh*t out there.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My buddy got a 03 duramax last year. He's at 227,000 miles now and it's running great. He's had a few problems with it here and there, but it's a solid truck. One bit of advice though is to become very good friends with someone who knows how to work on diesels. Lots of guys know enough about gas burners to get by,but them diesels are a whole new monster. Good luck and go over everything with a fine-toothed comb if possible.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
+1

It was extremely beneficial for myself to spend hours and hours researching common Duramax issues before I purchased it. So far, I haven't had any "surprises". Certainly, it hasn't been totally problem-free, but solutions are usually just a few clicks away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought my Dmax new in 2002 and I've still got it. I don't drive it much any more since I now have the 2013 Sierra 1500 but I wasn't about to sell it since it's still a good truck. I've got almost 240,000 miles on my Dmax and other than a set of injectors it runs like a scalded ape (but it smokes a lot due to the injectors :| ) . Another really good place to do research and absorb information would be dieselplace.com

It's a more specific forum dedicated to Duramax Diesel trucks.

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recently purchased 2019 HD 2500 Duramax 6.6 from dealer, only to find previous owner kept owners manual. Estimated interval on motor oil change? Thanks in advance. Chucker

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,610 Posts
I'd do 5k intervals personally.

Some guys will do 7500 or 10,000 miles depending on filter and oil. But it never hurts to change it more often, especially with the EGR system still functioning.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What 19trax95 said. Change oil and filter regularly. And the fuel filter too.
If you search here or on duramaxforum.com you'll find all kinds of recommendations on the brand of oil, oil filter, and fuel filter to use. And how often to change them.
IMO, it boils down to what you, the owner and driver, feel comfortable with.
Some other old fart once said, "you get what you pay for". Again, IMO, if you put quality parts and fluids in your Duramax and your truck, she'll give you the service and dependability you want.
Do your research and Good Luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for your replies. As an previous owner of a 2011 Silverado LT 4wd, 196000mi. I concur with quality products. Looking fwd to the Duramax experience. Chucker

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can download a manual from GM's website.
Look in the 'owners' section.

The oil life monitor (OLM) will do it's think and let you know.

Some choose to change at an earlier %, rather than waiting til the warnings pop up.

I like to avoid changes when I know I'll be busy with other stuff (work or play) so will change early if I think it's likely to need it an an inconvenient time.

FWIW, the OLM is base on a bunch of things, including hours, temps, power levels etc etc.
It does NOT sample the oil --- it assumes the oil in use meets the spec in the manual. If you don't change it but just reset, or if you use a 'long-life' oil, it doesn't care. It will count down the remaining oil life the same as if it oil and filter had been changed using the recommended products.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts