Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
08 Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 5.3L
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it a good idea or overkill to pit some dynamat around the speaker openings when I replace m Bose speakers with some infinities?

Or should I just get some foam for around the edges and under the adapter to help with an rattles?

·
Registered
546 Posts
if money wasnt an issue i would dynamat everything. theres enough rattles in GM's and a good bit of dynamat could cure prob 90% of it. the stuff is a bit expensive thou, so if ya do it i would put it in the areas where you would get the most for your money, around the speaker wholes may be fine without but it sure cant hurt.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plan was to put it around the holes and maybe some other places that might need it. I'm not going overboard since it is just a speaker replacement and I'm not putting in subs or anything.

If I can't do dynamat I'll might just do some foam like the factory speakers have. I might even try to modify the original speaker housings and use those.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I put dynamat on all four doors to reduce the resonance and rattles from the speakers and it helped a ton. I was able to hear a lot more midbass. I used the Xtreme bulk pack and used about 4 out of the 9 sheets. If you can get about 18 sq ft I would just do the doors. The speaker kit should work fine if that's all you want but I would do the whole door while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
No such thing as too much dynamat!

·
Registered
47 Posts
You're going to love the Infinity's. I recently replaced all my door speakers with the Kappas and completely changed the way my truck sounded.
+1 on gaining the mid bass back, because I lost some. But dynamat should help this. I put a 500.4 Kenwood amp on them and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
350 Posts
+2 on the sound damping, check out bquiet.com. I used the B-Quiet Ultimate-thicker and cheaper than Dynamat, but whichever one you use I recommend doing it. 50 square foot roll did all four doors-inside and outside-and the back wall.

+1 on the Infinity Kappas. I tried them without an amp first since my head unit was rated at 50watts (26 w rms), but ended up going back and getting a 700 watt rms 5 channel JL Audio amp. As Tony the Tiger sez-It's GGRRREAT!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Popsslowdog said:
+2 on the sound damping, check out bquiet.com. I used the B-Quiet Ultimate-thicker and cheaper than Dynamat, but whichever one you use I recommend doing it. 50 square foot roll did all four doors-inside and outside-and the back wall.

+1 on the Infinity Kappas. I tried them without an amp first since my head unit was rated at 50watts (26 w rms), but ended up going back and getting a 700 watt rms 5 channel JL Audio amp. As Tony the Tiger sez-It's GGRRREAT!
ooooo u did all four doors and back wall!! is the cab super quite now? i was thinking of doing it too.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I used Ballistic brand sound dampening on the floor and all four doors. It didn't really quite the cab any like I thought it may. But the sound of the stereo greatly improved. Focals in the doors, JL Audio amp and subs and Pioneer Headunit.

·
Registered
232 Posts
There are several brands that are similar in quality and that are much cheaper than dynamat. Shop around on ebay or on the internet. As others have stated you will notice a difference in mid to low end bass, and you will get rid of most if not all of your rattles. Well worth the money and if you already have the door panels off to replace the speakers it will not add much time to your project. Rip off the cheap foam stuff from the factory and cover all the holes that you can on the doors.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going with the Infinity Reference speakers on mine since I'm keeping my headunit and just replacing the front speakers for now. I contacted Infinity and they said the Kappas won't sound good with my stock headunit because they are made to be ran with an amp. I'm not wanting to drop a bunch of money on my stereo so adding an amp and aftermarket headunit won't happen. With Christmas and some other things we have going on so funds are going elsewhere, plus I've never been big into upgrading audio stuff on vehicles.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey Mossy, it sounds like for your particular situation, you can probably just get a couple of foam speaker baffles to help keep water off your speakers and you will be fine. Metra and XTC are a couple of brands out there. Just google foam speaker baffles and you will get all kinds of info on them. You are right in that the Infinity Reference series will be better for you if you are not going to run extra power.

I ran my Kappas with just head unit power and was not satisfied with them. They were just OK, but not any better than Bose. However when I gave them 200 watts rms per channel they came alive. That's also when I decided to do sound damping. good Luck with your new speakers and your project.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.