Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Silverado 3.0 / 2001 Duramax HD
19 Posts
My first vehicle 3 on the tree with over drive, second 3 on a tree 78 pickup, changed to 4 on the floor, third chevy Izuzu 4 on the floor? Sixth was a 89 chevy 1/2 ton truck with 5 on the floor my favorite, my 21 duramax was ordered with manual, but chevy ran out so I had to take the Allison. 2014 C7 was manual, loved it and the fuel mileage. Then came the DCT, sorry do not miss the manual, miss the fuel mileage. After driving manuals for 46 years I guess it is time for a change.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first vehicle 3 on the tree with over drive, second 3 on a tree 78 pickup, changed to 4 on the floor, third chevy Izuzu 4 on the floor? Sixth was a 89 chevy 1/2 ton truck with 5 on the floor my favorite, my 21 duramax was ordered with manual, but chevy ran out so I had to take the Allison. 2014 C7 was manual, loved it and the fuel mileage. Then came the DCT, sorry do not miss the manual, miss the fuel mileage. After driving manuals for 46 years I guess it is time for a change.
Many new automatics are efficient enough that they can get better mileage than a manual, so you might not be missing the mileage for long, either :)

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,006 Posts
I have said this many times, and I will say it again:
Just because the technology exists, and you have the capability to build or create it, doesn't necessarily mean it serves a purpose, benefits your everyday life, or is useful.

I have no problem with autonomous subways replacing the motorman; City buses with no drivers; taxis with no drivers, etc. But as far as personal vehicles, whether standard or automatic, not interested.
That being said, the 3 truckers that deliver to me on a regular basis 2 of them have newer rigs that are automatic and love them. The third has a 91 Peterbuilt conventional 2 stick 10 speed, and he won't step into an automatic for any money.

·
Vendor
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have said this many times, and I will say it again:
Just because the technology exists, and you have the capability to build or create it, doesn't necessarily mean it serves a purpose, benefits your everyday life, or is useful.

I have no problem with autonomous subways replacing the motorman; City buses with no drivers; taxis with no drivers, etc. But as far as personal vehicles, whether standard or automatic, not interested.
That being said, the 3 truckers that deliver to me on a regular basis 2 of them have newer rigs that are automatic and love them. The third has a 91 Peterbuilt conventional 2 stick 10 speed, and he won't step into an automatic for any money.
One would think long-haul truckers would love the newer automatic trucks. If you're on the road all day every day, it seems like not having to shift would be nice. But many drivers still prefer to shift gears.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,006 Posts
Reactions: Leveled17yeti
1 - 12 of 12 Posts