Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a thread on here about engine knock, and I wouldn't start a new if it had the same symptoms.

I have a 1995 k1500 extended cab, it has 241,000 miles on it, although the transmission has about 500 and the engine is around 40,000. So I have a knock that sounds lower end of the engine, it only makes the sound when it is at operational temperature or makes it louder at that temperature.

things I have checked:
flexplate- its new no cracks and torque downed
torque converter-new correctly tightened
new oil pump
took oil pan off pulled on all rods, no movement up and down although side to side movement on all rods, could not move the crank at all
removed the accessory belt and the noise stopped:
cannot find any problem with any accessory

Motor seems to run fine no loss of power or anything, just cannot find this knock, and of course worried it is a rod bearing, just not showing wear I can see yet.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
If the noise stopped when you removed the belt it is obviously not an engine problem. I'd suspect a bad compressor clutch bearing. It could be something elkse, like the power steering pump as well. You will just have to listen to it carefully to determine where it is coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response, but I believe I found the problem today. It is main bearing wear, I was able to move the vibrating dampener slightly today. It appears to have to much play, to be sure I would have to plastic gauge the main bearing journals though. I believe when the serpentine belt is connected it keeps tension on the crankshaft instead of letting it sit on the bottom of the bearing and that is why it doesn't make a sound when the belt is removed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.