Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you experienced DuraMax owners think of this situation? I bought a brand new 2013 Sierra 2500HD SLT crew cab with the DuraMax/Allison combo from our local dealer a few weeks ago. The truck was a dealer transfer, so had been driven from Atlanta to Augusta, GA, but still had less than 300 miles on it. On delivery, the engine oil life in the DIC was showing 65% left. This morning, with 888 miles total, the DIC is showing 56% oil life remaining. Last weekend when I checked the oil, it seemed very black to me. This is my first diesel (have driven GM V8s for about 40 years - but all gassers). Does this seem out of the ordinary to you?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it was me I'd just do an oil change within the first 1000 miles because everything is so tight and creates more heat and more shavings etc. I have never bought a brand new vehicle but my DMax oil seemed like it turned black instantly after running so I wouldn't be to worried about the color. Maybe look at your engine hours for a more accurate reading on how long the engine has ran instead of just miles driven.
Not an expert at all just my .02

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
^^ Good advice.

Diesels usually use an exhaust-gas recirculation system, which cycles the exhaust gases back through the combustion chamber again, and it really can mess with the oil, hence the jet-black color. Not sure why the OLM percentage is dropping so fast... like Jason said, I'd change the oil soon and reset the OLM.

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the EPA garbage on these motors is essentially recycling the exhaust in the motor then filtering via the DPF. So oil will always be black within 10 minutes of changing it.

Agree with the above comments, would change it out & start clean. Not sure what has changed in filters, but had a 2007 LBZ & the best off the shelf filters I could find were AC Delco & Wix. No longer have links to all the data & am sure things may have changed or improved over the years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone. I've made an appointment with the dealership for Tuesday after work. I'll see if I can squeeze an oil change out of them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good plan congrats on the new truck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts