Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
My "ENGINE OIL LOW" "ADD OIL" light keeps coming on every 4000 miles. My percentage oil life left with indicator is only at 42%. The dealer says this is normal and I need to change the oil. I don't think this is normal as I sure didn't buy a GMC so I would have to add oil every 4000 miles (esp. when the Oil life is at 42% left). Any thoughts on how to escalate would be appreciated.
I am going through this now with my Chevy 2020HD 6.6L gas engine. It is currently getting new pistons and rings under warranty, although I had to jump through hoops to get this done... I had to go in every 1,000 miles for consumption tests, and yes, they also told me that ever 1,000 miles it's normal to lose a quart even though I disputed it every time. I have gotten 'add engine oil' 3 times and finally told them I wasn't coming back until I got the alert again, so when it happened I took a video and pictures of everything, including how much oil I put it. They finally went in with a camera and couldn't find anything, so they took the engine apart and are replacing the pistons and rings.. It is very unfortunate and annoying, and I have been debating trading it in for another truck or even just getting away from General Motors.

· Registered
5 Posts
My 2021 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 has been using a quart of oil @ 4000 miles with 40% oil life remaining. Now at 20000 miles due for another oil change I’ve considered changing brands to see if it makes a difference.
First 10000 miles was GM oil and didn’t use much maybe 8 oz or so. Last 10000 has been Kendall GT max and uses a quart at 4000 miles. I doubt this is enough usage for Gm to address the issue but could be a problem some day and being a senior citizen I was hoping this would be the last truck I’d need.

· Registered
3 Posts
My 2021 GMC Sierra with the 6.2 has been using a quart of oil @ 4000 miles with 40% oil life remaining. Now at 20000 miles due for another oil change I’ve considered changing brands to see if it makes a difference.
First 10000 miles was GM oil and didn’t use much maybe 8 oz or so. Last 10000 has been Kendall GT max and uses a quart at 4000 miles. I doubt this is enough usage for Gm to address the issue but could be a problem some day and being a senior citizen I was hoping this would be the last truck I’d need.
Yea unfortunately it probably wouldn't be enough for them to address it unless you're very persistent, but it is very annoying to deal with. It has made me lose a lot of confidence in GM even though we have always run Chevy trucks, but they are older and diesel and haven't had these issues.
I am in athletic field servicing so I do a lot of driving and towing equipment and I can't rely on this truck and I don't even use it to its fullest capabilities. I am, however, getting a whole new engine since they couldn't get pistons and rings in a timely fashion, but they will not extend my warrantee which is BS. So I only have 15k miles on this new engine before my warrantee is up and GM won't budge on it. I have been looking at Dodge because I just don't want anything to do with this truck anymore.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts