Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say thanks in advance for all the help/advice.... Well the mains/rod bearings are nocking horribly in o6 Sierra 1500 z71 5.3 l. It has aluminum block and heads. Engine vin# b if it helps. It has 215,000 mi.on it so I'm completely rebuilding it. I wanna take my time and do it right so I'm planning on dropping in a cheep junk yard engine in it just to get me by.. My question is when I'm looking for my temporary engine will any 5.3l from gmc or chevy work? does it have to have a aluminum block or can it be iron.. Does the vin# matter. It's an everyday driver and I don't have the money to just buy a new one and I'm not about to rely on a junk motor for very long . Thanks again..

·
Registered
252 Posts
IMO

You'd be better off finding an LQ9 to stuff in it. But, if you want to keep the 5.3;

The aluminum block can't be bored. If it is, sleeves will have to put in it. You'd be better off getting an iron block 5.3 and turning it into a 383, which will make some monster torque.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
An lm7 or l33 should work? Or to be less specific... any generation iii 5.3 should work? I believe the harness is the same

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.