Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exhaust Question (2016 5.3L)

I'm deciding between two systems

Magnaflow or MBRP

I previously drove a Chev Colorado. He inline 4. I had the Magnaflow on there and had some seriously annoying drone when down shifting. More so on off-ramps from the highway.

I was at a local car show one day and saw MBRP. Being that they're manufactured a mere three hours from my front door, I wrote them regarding an exhaust for the Colorado.

They didn't have one and we working out a deal where they borrowed my Colorado for a week and use it to create the jig to make Colorado and Canyon exhaust for around the world. That was pretty awesome.

In doing the same driving, I fell in love with the MBRP way more than the Magnaflow. The MBRP had no drone in all those times/places that Magnaflow did.

Now I have the 5.3L. And want to support Canadian made and get a MBRP, BUT, in talking to some people today (even some MBRP employees), they say when the truck breaks down to V4, the exhaust sound sounds like a "washing machine with an uneven load". Haha. So they suggested tuning it to remove the "break down to V4" option.

Thing is though, in pricing both the Magnaflow and MBRP today, the Magnaflow was $1250CAD and the MBRP was $750CAD.

So for $500CAD less, I can support locally and get MBRP. Even though I still like buying Magnaflow and still supporting North America.

Can anyone with the MBRP attest to the bad sound the exhaust makes when it breaks down to V4? Does anyone know of any sound clips?

· Registered
98 Posts
MBRP have more crackle, snap, where magnaflow have more throaty rumble. I did a magnaflow on my 2012 Silverado 5.3 and it sounded amazing. All I did was the muffler, so it wasn't super load. Only when I wanted it to be. Now on my new truck (2013 6.2) I fell in love with simply doing a muffler delete. Leave the cats and resonators, just remove the muffler and replace with a piece of pipe. Costs $8 vs $120 (muffler) or $800 (cat back) and has the same (lack of) performance improvement and the same sound more or less.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Just about all exhausts are going to sound that way under v4 mode. I had MBRP on my last truck V4 mode wasn't nearly as bad as it was with a flowmaster. They are pretty quiet on these trucks. Just turn off V4 AFM and you wont have to worry about it! :)

· Registered
103 Posts
I have MBRP single side exit (stock routing) on my 08.. it sounds good. I really liked the fact that it is 3" piping.. downside is I've heard of the mufflers rotting out pretty easily, and the baffles coming loose causing some noises.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.