Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on taking my truck on the beach next spring. Not camping but all day fishing.
I have a place for another Battery, my owners manual says the Dealer would need to instal an auxiliary wiring harness for the extra battery and its main function is for towing. I would like to put a Deep cell battery in that place and run a power inverter for things like lights, and a coffee pot. How much does the Auxiliary harness cost? and do I need to get it from the dealer?

2011 Silverado 4x4 ext cab. 5-3 with HD towing package.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
From what I understand deep cycle and regular batteries charge differenty. If that is so, I am not sure you can hook them up like that in a truck. I'd just either set a deep cycle battery in there and get a battery charger to charge it good before the fishing trip and not hook it to the trucks charging system or just get another regular battery and hook it to the trucks cheaging system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mine is '04 with 5.3 liter. I bought a second battery mount like used on the diesels. Put a deep cycle optima in it to power my amateur radio gear and stuff like a 12 volt coffee pot. I use one of these: http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75150.php It is a high current solid state relay. The alternator charges the vehicle battery; when it is up to about 13 volts the relay switches on allowing charging of the aux battery. There is a 3 position switch on the dash. One position is "AUTO" which functions as described. Another position is"'ON" which forces the relay on in case I need a boost for a start. The third position is "OFF" to keep the relay off in the event there is a problem with the aux battery. There is a 200 amp AMG fuse (bolt in) to protect each battery from the cross over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.