Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much extra weight is suggested in the bed of the truck to have while driving in snowy conditions, and what do you all use for the added weight? I live out in NJ, and although our winters are not too bad here, i do want to keep something on hand at home for when we do get some snow. i was thinking of getting two bags of sand made up from a local farm supply store to keep in the bed on each side right before the rear wheels. Would two bags of say, 75lbs each be enough?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Not really needed if you have good tires and 4 wheel drive. I just use the weight of the snow in the bed

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
I agree with Hartski.. If it 4x4, you shouldn't need anything, even without snow in the back.

But if you're going to do it anyway, a bag or three of tubesand at 75# per should be fine.

·
Registered
2014 LTZ 5.3 6 sp
6,878 Posts
You won't need any extra weight but if you do decide on sand then double that 150 pounds at least >>> MAKE SURE you secure it well cuzz a 75 pound flying object can be more deadly than a gunshot >>> sand may be helpful if you get stuck on some Icy surface (freezing rain) ect.

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
And just to add real quick.. Sand can help, but I keep a bag or two of cheap cat litter in my wife's car for the winter. Better traction if needed, and has the weight you're looking for.

Or be ultra cheap, head to Home Depot or Lowes, and grab a few bags of pond rock. At 50# per, and only $3.50, it's the cheapest way to add weight in the back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Or forget adding extra weight since it won't help with stopping or turning. You need a lot of extra weight to stop the wheel spin on a 2wd truck. We used to have 1/2" steel plates covering the entire bed area of our 8-foot regular cab work trucks. The weight hardly helped start, but it made the stopping distance a lot further.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Agreed on looking through the above.....varying opinions all laid out there. As Wayne says, secure it, I've seen people with cinder blocks in the back that were loose, very dangerous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.