Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Silverado has a factory installed Remote Starter.
Is there a tweak/mod that can be done to either
(1) make it run longer than the programmed 10 mins
or
(2) allow me to remote start it more than 2 consecutive times

Ty

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Hmmmm, I will not question your reasoning for wanting to do this. I am sure others will. But, I think GM designed it to work that way for a reason and as far as I know, there is no way to adjust those limits. I suppose a dealer might be able to do something like that with their Tech2 devices, but I don't think it is a commonly done modification and it might not be possible at all.

I will be monitoring this thread however, just to see if someone else has a more definitive answer for you.
Good luck.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my area the current temperatures are -20 to -25 degrees Celsius. Running the engine for 10-20 mins is ok but I would rather get into a warm vehicle than not. Running for just 20 mins warms the engine fine but 30 mins would allow it to be much more comfortable.

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Next to impossible so short answer is no, you can't change it.
Aftermarket remote starts allow you to set the timer though.

The only way you could change the factory setting is if you know someone VERY good at tuning and modifying files. Have to access the BCM and read the flash programming, then find the timer setting and modify it, then write it back.

16,428 Posts
Sounds like you just challenged someone to come up with a hack.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input.
I was obviously hoping for an easy way. But I guess it is what it is.
I am surprised that no one has done this yet. I can't be the only person wanting to run the engine longer than the manufacturer preset time.

· Registered
559 Posts
scottybye said:
In my area the current temperatures are -20 to -25 degrees Celsius. Running the engine for 10-20 mins is ok but I would rather get into a warm vehicle than not. Running for just 20 mins warms the engine fine but 30 mins would allow it to be much more comfortable.
Not sure I would ever let a cold engine idle for more than a few seconds. The oil flow is just too low to adequately provide proper lubrication. I'm nearing 70, but I can still handle a few minutes in a cold cabin just fine.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With flow flow points of the new synthetic oils I doubt that it is making much difference. I believe that it does more damage to start and go without letting the engine and transmission properly warm up at least a little. That my HO and it only worth what it costed.

16,428 Posts
My oil pressure is way higher on a cold idle than when I am tooling down the road.

16,428 Posts
Probably want to tie in the coffee maker to that remote start as well. Waiting on that cup of coffee until you get a few miles down the road really sux.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.