Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Silverado 1500 5.3 Vortec
My fuel sending unit began to fail the other week. Then last night my truck sputtered out like it was out of gas. After putting gas in it and starting to crank it a few times the battery died out. I then towed it home to access all my tools. I still could not get to stay on, once it fired up it would quickly die out. So I began testing all of the fuses and the relay linked to the fuel pump. Everything checked out. I have now dropped the tank and removed the pump. I need the whole assembly anyway to replace the sending unit. I am also going to change the fuel filter and clean out the lines. While I wait on the fuel pump assembly does anyone have any other ideas or experiences with similar issues? I plugged in my scanner and no codes were reading. I am waiting on the new pump for pressure readings. Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
I think the pump replacement will fix your problem. I would check the tank really good to make sure theyre is no dirt or other forign debris/water in it before replacing the pump. That stuff can kill a new pump fast.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I needed the fuel pump assembly anyhow to replace the sending unit. I found I good deal so I won't lose sleep over it. But I'll check the pressure and voltage when I get it back together. There was a good amount of dirt in the bottom of the tank when I drained it. Thanks for the reassurance guys. It helped a lot

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
The new pump assembly should come with a new harness to splice in... other than that it's fairly straight forward...

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.