Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Silverado 4WD, 191k miles. Sometimes when going very slow, like walking speed, the brakes will act the way they would as if on a slippery surface. When stopping on a slight decline a few times the brake pedal almost went to the floor. Stopping normally it never happens, only when moving very slowly.

Don't know if it could be related - in the fall on 2019 I had the brake line from the rear driver's side replaced. it seemed fine after the replacement. I took the truck off the road from April of last year until the end of December. Since I've been driving it again it's been happening, I believe it did a few times in April of last year.

Today I happened to see the mechanic that replaced the brake line at the store. I asked him about it - he said an ABS sensor could be dirty and sending a false signal. Could that be it? Looks like plenty of brake fluid in the reservoir.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yep, ABS sensor dirty, or needs replacing. If you're lucky, a code will guide you to the wheel. If no code, it's trial and error time. Sensors are not expensive, and easy to replace.... usually.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea after I posted this I realize I'm sure not the only one. The forum showed several other related threads. I wonder if it would be safe for now to disable the ABS by pulling the fuse? Probably safer than the brake pedal going all the way to the floor. I think cruise control won't work with that fuse pulled, not a concern.

From what I've researched it's a 60A fuse between 2 40A fuses in the engine compartment? As for the sensor, one of my sons has jack stands, I may see if I can do it at his place. I've heard the sensors can be cleaned - but as you mentioned they're not expensive. No code or ABS light when it happens.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For now I pulled the 60A fuse in the compartment under the hood. There's another ABS fuse in the compartment by the dashboard. Of course ABS and Brake are now lit on the dash, but the brakes feel fine. Tried to make the situation happen, but couldn't. I feel this is safer as my street has a slight decline to the main road where there's a stop sign. Several times while braking on that decline the ABS would activate and I rolled forward. Same would sometimes happen when entering my driveway, which is also at a slight decline.

The truck passed emissions about a year ago so not due for another year. I believe it would fail and not be eligible to be tested with those dash lights on even though it's not emissions related.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,715 Posts
You don't fail from ABS iirc. My buddy has had an ABS light on now for 3+ years with no issues

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Did you ever have the ABS pump bled after replacing the line?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shakenfake said:
You don't fail from ABS iirc. My buddy has had an ABS light on now for 3+ years with no issues
Good to know. I wasn't sure if that would disqualify a vehicle. I guess it may depend on the state's policies.

GBSierraSLE said:
Did you ever have the ABS pump bled after replacing the line?
No - and I wondered about that. Before the brake line replacement the ABS never acted up. I don't know if the shop did or not.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a similar ABS issue with my 2001 2500HD. As I was coming to a stop the ABS would growl a bit. The brakes worked normally. I put up with the growl for about a year. When I had time to look into it, I found that the ground was dirty under where the screw goes through the eyelet in the sender to the A frame, interupting the ground. I cleaned up the contact surfaces and that fixed the problem. Be very careful when removing the sensor. The tab that the screw goes through is fragile. I found that carefully turning the sensor back and forth to free it up then carefully lifting the sensor out kept me from breaking off the sensor tab.

·
Registered
816 Posts
shakenfake said:
In my horrible state (Rhode island), if ABS lights are on you fail State Inspection.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HCO41 said:
I had a similar ABS issue with my 2001 2500HD.... Be very careful when removing the sensor. The tab that the screw goes through is fragile. I found that carefully turning the sensor back and forth to free it up then carefully lifting the sensor out kept me from breaking off the sensor tab.
Thanks for the tip. Yea I've read it's not too hard to break something on the sensor.

Chevy-SS said:
In my horrible state (Rhode island), if ABS lights are on you fail State Inspection.
I'm just west of you, Conn. No inspection here but some things will disqualify a vehicle from the test. One is having a pet in the vehicle. Ya'd think drivers would know better.

I do like going to your state - went to Lincoln earlier in the week. As long as I don't get behind someone slow on Rt. 101 or Rt.6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts