Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fed Ex showed up at my door this morning with my new muffler. Its The Flowmaster 50 series big block. Part num 53553. Fits the 6.0 motors with the 3.5 exhaust tubes.
Wanted to show a option for a nice low tone muffler that is a direct replacement for the stock muffler. Fits perfect on my 2012 2500HD. no extra pipe needed. The inlet/outlet matched up perfect with the stock pipes. You will see in the pics that the muffler was installed sideways to fit. A call to Flowmaster tech confirmed it was no problem installing the muffler that way. ground clearance remained the same as the stock muffler.
Its not the best out there but I couldn't be happier. Nice tone, easy install, and the price was right.
Just wanted to get alittle info out there for 6.0, 3.5 inch tube trucks, looking for a aftermarket muffler upgrade.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page ... rtno=53553

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice I can't for the life of me decide what to put on my truck, I like the loudness of a FM super 10, but than again I like it loud when its idling, or cruising and normal speeds, not just on takeoff and reving high. Was thinking about straight piping, but not sure lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
Looks good! Nice clean install!

Silverado_2011 start searching YouTube. There a lot of videos on there of muffler sounds.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I'm glad you're liking it. I had extremely high hopes for it on my 6.0. I had the exact muffler on for less than 24 hrs, the drone was horrible around 60-70 MPH.
Granted, I have headers, no cats and a tune. But it was bad. I ended going with a Magnaflow 21" muffler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same set up on mine. Mine dumps past the rear axel. Love the sound. I was a little concerned about the odd angle of the muffler but you really can't tell unless you crawl under.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Hey... just like mine :D! If you do want more noise, you can chop it off below the bed. Then she'll really sing a sweet song :D!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimnfor said:
I'm glad you're liking it. I had extremely high hopes for it on my 6.0. I had the exact muffler on for less than 24 hrs, the drone was horrible around 60-70 MPH.
Granted, I have headers, no cats and a tune. But it was bad. I ended going with a Magnaflow 21" muffler.
After reading your post Jim I was thinking, great I got a muffler I'm going to have to cut back out. Finally got a chance to get it on the interstate yesterday. After a 10 mile drive,I'm OK with drone on mine. Very little to none crusing 65 to 70 mph. Once it gets to 6th gear you can't even hear the exhaust. Must be the difference on our exhaust mods causing the drone your described. Towing might be a different story though.
Right now, I'm very satified with the Flow 50, but going to remember that Magnaflow 21"

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Rob I'm sure it's the other stuff I did to mine that 'helped' the drone. And maybe I wasn't really expecting it going from stock to the 50 series.
And in hind sight since I've moved the exit up to in front of the rear wheel, which all but eliminated the drone on the Magnaflow, I wonder if keeping the 50 series would have made it better had I moved the exit up with that one?!?!
It's all good though.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Maybe there should be a _____(insert brand muffler) at 70 MPH video thread, that way we could get a listen for drone, LOL.
All the vids are at idle and we all say "oh that sounds great" ;-)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
StarsnBars said:
Fed Ex showed up at my door this morning with my new muffler. Its The Flowmaster 50 series big block. Part num 53553. Fits the 6.0 motors with the 3.5 exhaust tubes.
Wanted to show a option for a nice low tone muffler that is a direct replacement for the stock muffler. Fits perfect on my 2012 2500HD. no extra pipe needed. The inlet/outlet matched up perfect with the stock pipes. You will see in the pics that the muffler was installed sideways to fit. A call to Flowmaster tech confirmed it was no problem installing the muffler that way. ground clearance remained the same as the stock muffler.
Its not the best out there but I couldn't be happier. Nice tone, easy install, and the price was right.
Just wanted to get alittle info out there for 6.0, 3.5 inch tube trucks, looking for a aftermarket muffler upgrade.
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/?page ... rtno=53553
Nice!!! How do you like the sound on long trips? Not too loud?

Tom
AutoAnything

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I first put the exhaust on mine I thought a made a drone mistake, the ride home was a 65-70 mph 30 min ride.
I have put 28,000 miles in the first year and love the 78 mph hum! You get used to the sound and it just sings now. Around town it make you giddy! Enjoy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey S & B;

I did the same thing during the summer, got a 53553 from an ex co-worker from Flowmaster for a song and installed it myself. Easy enough to do, just had to have a 3" coupling made up so I could get past one of the hangers. So far not what I was hoping for. Idle is OK, taking off from a stop is ok, but at certain low speeds and some high I get a pretty good drown going down the Freeway. Oh, and when I step on the load pedal, it's LOAD! Its fine for when I'm alone, but with the wife with me, I wish it was just a tad decibel lower. Any way, I have before and after sound vids I still have to down load, I'll try and get those up soon. Just my take on the muffler thing. Oh and I haven't noticed any MPG improvement. My MPG is a sad 10.6 @ 95% city. Just returned from my sisters in Reno and it moved up to 11.3 after a 500 mile round trip. Using mid grade Chevron gas. Most travel speeds 65-70.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.