Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing an oil change last week and rolled towards the back to just check a couple things out and the frame is toast. It showed quick. It wasnt even soft last year. I have offers for 5,000. to buy as is. Worth it? Everything else on the truck works and runs great. I'm
kind of at a loss and sick to my stomach. Any opinions? 2013 5.3 4x4 185000 miles
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
491 Posts
You mix all the salt we dig out from under Lake Erie with our winters and the crap steel used today... that is what happens. You must stay on top of the rust or it will eat you up.

Sad!

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,978 Posts
If its paid for and everything else is in very good shape you could do a frame swap.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,978 Posts
I have been seeing more and more people parting out the 2007-2013 trucks lately. Should not be too difficult to find someone with a frame I wouldn't think.

Also go ahead and pull your rear tail lights out and look inside the bedsides to see if you are starting to rust from the inside out on them.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
3,608 Posts
Also this^^^
My uncle had a Range Rover that had a fatal timing chain issue and it just so happened to be pouring down rain when he took it for a trade in. He was expecting them to basically give him nothing for it but fortunately they just skipped over it lol

·
Registered
2011 Sierra Z71 4x4 5.3
214 Posts
Is it a LC9 AFM 5.3L? If it hasn't been afm deleted I would just sell it for the 5k if you can't do all the work yourself. A frame swap and afm delete is a LOT of work / hours. It would be worth doing a frame swap and AFM delete if you planned on using it for another 6+ years to recoup the investment.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it a LC9 AFM 5.3L? If it hasn't been afm deleted I would just sell it for the 5k if you can't do all the work yourself. A frame swap and afm delete is a LOT of work / hours. It would be worth doing a frame swap and AFM delete if you planned on using it for another 6+ years to recoup the investment.
I have had a diablo tuner on it since the day I got it disabling the AFM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I take it that the picture is of the frame rail and the running board and gas tank? What about going to a body shop and getting a quote on replacing the frame rail, assuming that the rest of the frame is reasonable.
What are the brake lines and fuel lines like?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I take it that the picture is of the frame rail and the running board and gas tank? What about going to a body shop and getting a quote on replacing the frame rail, assuming that the rest of the frame is reasonable.
What are the brake lines and fuel lines like?
Yes thats correct. I have someone supposed to come look this weekend to see if its savable. I hope so. Runs to good to basically scrap it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts