Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an airbag code of B0084 which is the passenger side airbag sensor. I have a part number of 15297468 but am curious if anyone has had luck with the dorman parts which are a third of the price? It seems these are a common failure point in the airbag system amd I may have to replace them more than once in the life of the truck. I am out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah after some research I think I am going with dorman. It doesnt look like it will pop the bags when it fails which is my major concern.

Fwiw, I have read of these sensors failing after 2 years, especially in climates like Michigan. For $60 it is much easier to swallow changing a sensor out. The GM part was $153 at gmpartsdirect.com but they wanted $30+ for shipping!! I said no thank you...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put my dorman part in today, took about 25 minutes. Hardest part was the bolt was directly over the cross member and I had to use an end wrench to loosen and tighten it. This is the part I removed. I dont see anything wrong with it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The part that you are showing in the post is cracked!! Look at the housing under the label. This is common and GM needs to know that the housings are cracking after 3 to 4 years,Also call NHSTA and file a complaint issue My 08 had the same problem and GM dealer fixed it for 25.00,Yes the dealer did the work.They need to know that they are installing poorly designed parts that are 250.00 each and only last 4 to 5 years in the north eaststates

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2008 Silverado with the right front ( passenger side ) air bag sensor which sits behind the bumper and is accessible from underneath the truck- scan code of B0084. Couple of items to remember as part of this replacement. First, make sure the negative battery cable is disconnected. Second, that area of the truck has a lot of road grime buildup so the bolt holding the sensor in place will have build up on it so clean that area and add a little lubricant before replacing the part. Disconnect the negative battery cable, remove the plastic skid plate's 15 mm bolts, disconnect the wiring harness on the air bag sensor - the harness has a pin holding the connector in place - then remove the bolt with a 10mm wrench. Installation is reversal of this process. After the truck is restarted, the airbag warning should disappear on the console. I paid about $60 for this sensor at a local auto parts store and it took me about 45 minutes to replace the broken sensor.

·
Registered
274 Posts
same as everyone else here,,, dorman 590-206

mine was the drivers side. and it was also split, my bolt broke off, so I drilled a hole next to the original, just far enough to reach with a wabble socket and extension. I used a self tapper bolt,, LOL,,, and also filled the whole cavaty up through sensor where bolt goes through with RTV so no more water can get trapped in there and freeze again resulting in another split sensor. I also worked the passanger side one off too,, so I could do the same with the RTV,, this one actually had water trapped in it too. then when re installing I smeered antiseeze in the threads on frame.

then my mind went if over kill mode and I covered the whole sensor between fram and sensor too,, with RTV... no more corrosion issues..

And yes, GM should have done something about this too,, but ,,,, well they do if you cry loud enough,, as they did many years ago once for me too... under warranty... with no precautions or sealing whats so ever too. hopefully this time around they out last me,,,, what a shame ehhh? you can continue driving the truck with the air bag light on,, or in operable,, but,, if your engine lite is on for some insagnificant issue like the EVAP solinoid,, your wife cant use her remote start,,, and she drives you crazy about it,, or makes you got start her truck for her.. LOL either that or I have to sleep on the couch,,, LOL... 23 years of raising kids, and being married,,,, will "train" ya. I've been "trained"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the check airbag system message, but can't figure out how figure out how to tell if it is right or left sensor. Do I need to buy an expensive scanner or will scanners at my local Oreillys tell me?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I guessed,,, sorta,,, looking up from the bottom at the 10 mm bolt head,, I noticed a slight cracking in the black plastic,,, when I took it down it was worse on the top side of sensor. water gets trapped in the bore area of the mounting hole,,, like a cup filled with water.. then it can freeze and split the sensor. I filled my new one with rtv.

I then ordered the other one and did the same,, it was also cracked but still registering. dorman 590-206

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the Dorman sensor and replace it last weekend. I did the same and dropped the skid plate to see/feel which one may be bulging. Sure enough, my passenger side sensor was visibly swollen. After replacing it, my airbag system is back to normal. I figured it was a 50/50 chance on what sensor was bad, so an educated guess served me well in this case. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for all the helpful info. The cheap Dorman sensor for $60 worked just fine for me. I purchased the Autel AL619 code scanner for $100 and it read my chevy silverado just fine. You just have to know that there is a separate ICON on the screen for reading airbag codes. It told me right front sensor so I went right to it. Replaced it in 15m. Also, my sensor was clearly cracked open just like the pic someone posted above. So I guess you could avoid the scanner purchase just by inspecting the sensor. I like the scanner and already used it to read another code.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here digging up an older thread.
Among the many things currently causing problems with my truck. The air bag light is "on" . Got the service air bag message popping up also. Replaced both sensors up front (they were obviously bad, split and corrosion falling out). Surprise Surprise the light and message is still there. So after reading down through this post I'm thinking the module under the seat. The post about the recall just talked about removing the padding at no cost so it don't short out the module. Will they replace the module at no cost if it is already shorted? '09 Chevy Silverado 1500 rolling around the Ohio rust belt.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,715 Posts
I think you have to get it reset by GM if I remember correctly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts